Importing or Buying American/Canadian Hard Maple Logs or Con

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spittles

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if any one here has any information on imports or any where in the UK that sells bulk American/Canadian Hard Maple whether it be in logs or container form.
I know this may seem a slightly random question to ask but I'm planning on making guitars and alot of them. I have no idea where to start but I'm sure its cheaper to buy in huge bulk rather than paying 50-150 pounds a turn for a 60" x 20" x 3" cut of a single tree.

I hope you guys and girls understand.
Thanks in advance
Vaughan.

I would ring around the timber merchants and explain your needs and see what prices they come up with. I think normally the more you buy, the cheaper it gets.

Wow, Thanks for such fast replies guys. Any estimate on pricing? If not I shall give them a ring tomorrow.

I make guitars, and try to use British timber as much as possible, 1/4 sawn field maple is plenty strong enough and cheaper to boot. I assume your looking for use as necks, if so I pay £30\cube and get it normally in 2" thick boards which are often crown cut, rip them down turn 90' and laminate back together, this gives a nice strong laminated neck and as each piece is turned they all end up 1/4 sawn to boot.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Deserter - where do you get your field maple from? Do you ever get figured stuff? Lastly, have you come across any UK timber as a substitute for mahogany? I'm planning my next fedaw electric guitars and would like to use as local as possible timber.
Sorry for terse post - using a phone in back of car...

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna, I think sapele may be a good substitute for mahogany?? Others may be able to advise better..

You don't get many sapele trees around these parts so I think as a Mahogany substitute Walnut must be on the list, it has similar working qualities if not the same price bracket.

vinnie_chip":2i98wsjb said:
Kalimna, I think sapele may be a good substitute for mahogany?? Others may be able to advise better..

It doesnt seem to grow in Yorkshire though, I dont know about further north or south?!

Unfortunately, I too am unaware of any local sapele plantations, but if you do happen to find some, see if they have any ebony also, please :)

Re:walnut - a possibility, but it seems a shame to wrap up beautiful timber like that in another piece of wood for the top, or to have it remain, unseen essentially, on the rear of the guitar. If I could get some that was wide enough, and long enough, I would love to make an acoustic guitar out of it, however..

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":1w0t73m2 said:
Unfortunately, I too am unaware of any local sapele plantations, but if you do happen to find some, see if they have any ebony also, please :)

Re:walnut - a possibility, but it seems a shame to wrap up beautiful timber like that in another piece of wood for the top, or to have it remain, unseen essentially, on the rear of the guitar. If I could get some that was wide enough, and long enough, I would love to make an acoustic guitar out of it, however..

Cheers,
Adam

what width/length do you need? Are there any other specifics that you need to make an instrument from it? I went to a place last week that had native walnut- I didnt look at the stack, but it was reasonably long, and looked quite wide. I chose a 3" x 5" hunk instead :mrgreen:

Looks wise I can't think of a timber like mahogany native to us, however there are several which should give a similar tone, personally I normally use alder fir bodies, but have also used cherry, both give quite a mellow tone. As for necks, I've used ash, sycamore and maple. I don't often find figured maple but frequently get rippled sycamore for caps.
I source alot of my timber from a guy local to me (Shropshire Hardwoods) he works with several local national Trust estates, and removes trees from their manager forests, then mills and kilns it himself.
Another nice looking top cap, which I am planing to use soon as London plane or lacewood.

Mark - the sizes I would be looking for would be around 9" x 22" x 3/4" for the back and 5" x 35" x 3/4" for the sides. No particular requirements for the back, but straight(ish) grain that is quartersawn much preferable for the sides. If they have any simillar, do let me know!

Deserter - a local sawmill sometimes carries alder, so I may try that - didnt do Fender any harm, did it?? Lacewood is rather nice, but again, dont really find it up here in Scotland too often. I have some nicely coloured laburnum planks that will go into an acoustic at some point though.

Vinnie - thanks for the info, but Market Harborough is not entirely local to me (I live near Stirling...).

Adam

Scottish ash is some of the nicest grained ash I've ever used, might be worth asking if they ever get any with olive in.
also I would imagine with your climate you get some awesome salted timbers up there, I know Ireland gets a lot.

Back