Importing machinery UK to Ireland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe use NI as a staging post?

IHNI whether the time and cost would be feasible, but there could well be different rules if he could claim to be a NI resident.

Particularly...

if he has Irish citizenship?
That's an interesting idea, hadn't thought of claiming to be a NI resident. Yeah, grew up in Ireland so certainly have the citizenship if needed.

Hi, absolutely the best way to do this is to enter the "island" of Ireland via Scotland through one of the Northern Ireland ports of Larne or Belfast. As there is free trade movement between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland you will be able to bring your items into the Republic without having to pay duty.
Best of luck.....
I don’t understand the reason for choosing Scotland?

dose Scotland have different rules, or does NI have different entry rules.

Hello from Ireland. If you are moving here (Republic) then its a simple "Change of residence", Same applies to vehicles! Have a look at revenue.ie for all the details. We have the dreaded VRT for all vehicles imported into Ireland, since Brexit VAT is also added so its now almost prohibitive to import here. I drove to England in January and brough back a Kity Direct Drive universal woodworker, the journey cost more than the machine did!
Hey man, yeah getting the car/van on the ferry back and forth is not a cheap (or quick) process but hopefully worth it. How is the Kity Direct Drive going for you? I see a lot of them available over here but have always thought the beds look quite small on the various parts. If you are doing small projects I suppose it is entirely proficient, what is your experience so far with it?

There is only one school of cabinetmaking in the ROI and it is based in Letterfrack Co Galway. It's well set up and training is to a high standard. Making a living in bespoke furniture would I imagine be difficult but the internet is your friend. A maker in Co Cork, Joseph Walsh has conquered the international market with large 'studio' pieces.
Yeah it's too funny, I actually didn't get accepted to Letterfrack when I applied :LOL: studied in the UK instead and I'd say in the first two months of being here I got more experience than an entire year at Letterfrack. Ah yeah J Walsh, living the dream in Cork!

Cheers Daniel for the heads up on Spacehub will look into it. Are you saying you can have machinery shipped there and then I would just roll up and drive it down to the republic? That would be very convenient.
Yeah he takes orders for large items if you were to purchase them so to ship something there wouldn't be much different. It costs £5 an item though for him to take the delivery and store it but he can hold it for a good while. He's a nice fella to deal with

Yeah he takes orders for large items if you were to purchase them so to ship something there wouldn't be much different. It costs £5 an item though for him to take the delivery and store it but he can hold it for a good while. He's a nice fella to deal with
Cheers man, really appreciate the info!

Please explain to us the details of all the apprentice training schemes which exist and would allow anybody who wants to learn a trade to do so.

And when you use the term "snowflake", what do you mean?

Read the Irish newspapers, watch TV, talk to various tradesmen. That should give you the answers that you demand. I've no intention of rising to your bait. What an absurd question!

Fair enough - you don't have a defintion of words you use, nor any evidence that any definition could even exist.

I knew that - I was hoping that Dutchie might come up with some justification for being derogatory towards people he had never met.

Interesting though.

With my highlighting:

"Snowflake" is a derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.

Like being asked for actual evidence showing the insult is reasonable?

Quite honestly, if questioning and challenging politicised insults isn't allowed in this topic (understandable, as it's not what the topic is about), then the original insults and derogatory slang ought to be equally not allowed.

Back