Imperial V Metric

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grahamshed":1ym60981 said:
MMUK":1ym60981 said:
Jonzjob":1ym60981 said:
Jeyes fluid and his 12 mates :shock: Over 2 beer tokens of real money for a measuring stick :shock:

It ain't got a Silver Ghost on one end has it :?:

Wait till I tell you how much it cost for calibration, thankfully it's on a 5 year re-cal :roll:

15 guineas, 6 goats, 2 sheep and a camel! :mrgreen:
Come on MMUK, that really isn't true is it. One camel is worth 3 goats and if you tell it any different it will get the ump.

It's OK, I needed to get rid of a few. Anyway, they only had one hump :wink:

I'm also an 80s child and use the wonderful metriperial system. It's not at all confusing. Honest. I find that using handtools means that imperial makes sense. All the good tools are imperial anyway, so you might as well just use imperial. Also most timber yards etc seem to be happiest with imperial as well.

However like DTR, I tend to cut one or two key pieces to size and then work off them when building stuff.

What Zilch-Wedlock me off is when you go to a timber yard to find, for example, 4" x 2" timber sold in lengths labeled as 2.4m/8'.

2.4m IS NOT 8' long! 2.44m is 8'. :evil:

no one as mentioned pinch rods, story sticks or joiners rods. I've built quite a few things where I never used any centralised measurement system (which imperial and metric both are) whatsoever. I set out the proportions with laths and scrap offcut's on a white board, drew out the rod, using dividers/framing squares etc to set it out then work from that, no "measurement" needed. After all measurement is only an abstract way to communicate a "size" from one person, or place, to another. A dimension taken with a pinch rod is precisely accurate and directly transferable....
LOL theres a French heritage joiner on youtube, he still persists with pouces

It's the British curse to have to work in both. I've just bought a sheet of ply which was specified as 8'x4'x9mm.

Back