Images of timber grain...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm working on the logo for my new website/ business. I need a decent image(s) of timber grain, I'm not really sure what I should go for, so will consider anything, be it dappled, rippled or just a nice image of fairly typical but beautiful grain. It will most probably be used for the background and banner/ logo on my site, and I would like it to be large enough so that it could be blown up for future purposes.

So if anyone has any suitable images (and they don't mind me using them to represent my business) then please send them my way, it really would be much appreciated.

Either to goldeneyedmonkey at hotmail.com or link to them here.

That's all folks! _Dan :)

Hi Dan,

I will have a look through my bits and pieces of timber, and you might have to use a 'tile' effect for some of the smaller pieces of exotics. Please don't think I am pouring water over your ideas, but wouldn't you feel good if you found some examples among your own offcuts. (If you have any of course.) All it takes is a digital camera these days, or even your phone?

Let me know.
Regards
John
:D

Any use to you?

DSC_0029.JPG

(without the copyright obviously!)

or this one as a montage...

DSC_0149.JPG

I have hi res versions too.

Jim

John, I will modify the image in photoshop and then it will be used faintly as gradient, getting lighter down the page into nothing. I do have a few nice pieces I can use (but have to wait till I can borrow a mates DSLR), it's a rippled(?) sycamore kitchen worktop, and the grain is amazing so would like to use a DSLR instead of my compact. Also have some Oak that I need to plane, but again, am waiting on a decent camera.

Cheers Jim, not sure about the Burr but the next one down may well prove useful, if you could send it me, high res, it would be great.

These may come to nothing, the whole logo idea may not work at all, but it may just be nice to have a texture/ background made from some of them. the site will be fairly modern and sparse/ clean, but I am leaning towards having some sort of grain featuring on it somewhere, to help it relate to the medium I work with. - but then again I may just leave it fairly plain and let them work speak for itself :D

Cheers _Dan

I was gonna take some pics of various woods I have, but after seeing the pics from Jim, I think you've got it sorted, I dont have the Grains or the Photographic skills, those pics will look really slick on your website, here are the two I took anyway.

P1030384.jpg

P1030446.jpg

Jim, fantastic pic's especially the first one, Birds eye Wallnut??
What can you see in the grain

Jimsfaces.jpg

:)

jimmy rivers":19xnmr77 said:
DOOGYREV":19xnmr77 said:

The Woodworkers Rawshack Test :D

I managed to see (clockwise from TDC...a Pacman, Bamby, The Scream, a Grizzly Bear, a Gorilla (left middle), a Ghost out of one of them ghost cartoon films....and finally....that funny character out of Ice Age...(top left all around arrow).

What does this say about my mind? :oops:

Go on...be honest! :mrgreen:

Jim

Hi goldeneye slightly off topic but are you doing your website youself if so which are you useing or are you paying for a company to do it for you as Im looking to set one up
Many thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm doing the basic look of it on Photoshop (I'm by no means trained or an expert in it, but can do basic stuff) then sending it off to a friend of mine to get his business to do the rest, coding and final design tweaks etc. He's very good and he doesn't charge the earth, get in contact with him, if you are interested @ Fresh Spark Creative, ask for Dave and tell him that I (Dan) gave you his details. The website I've linked to is his old website that they're just in the process of updating, but it still has a portfolio on I think.

Hope that's of some help. _Dan :)

jimi43":3r4a4rfu said:
jimmy rivers":3r4a4rfu said:
DOOGYREV":3r4a4rfu said:

The Woodworkers Rawshack Test :D

I managed to see (clockwise from TDC...a Pacman, Bamby, The Scream, a Grizzly Bear, a Gorilla (left middle), a Ghost out of one of them ghost cartoon films....and finally....that funny character out of Ice Age...(top left all around arrow).

What does this say about my mind? :oops:

Go on...be honest! :mrgreen:

Jim

I think it means that you like cartoons :) and are a creative imaginative lateral thinker, :idea: or just as bonkers as me :!:

What I see is very similar, Bot Left a Pig Face, Right Middle the windows logo, the gorilla looks like an early homer simpson, Top Left an angry Fuzzy Bear/Muppet, and a whole losd of other things, have yet to see Bambi :deer

Back