I'm probably going to burn in hell for this....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridger

Established Member
Reaction score
see, I'm generally anti- tool collector. I use tools, I want others to use tools, I don't want to see them get amassed into a small number of hands. It's a philosophical thing. keep the traditions alive, not in a museum.

at a thrift store the other day I picked up a block plane.
It's not like I need another block plane, I have more than I need already. but this one was old, a design I wasn't familliar with and both in good shape and cheap. it came home with me. today I cleaned it up and got a good look at it.

it has the adjustable toe plate, but no adjuster lever for it, nor any sign that it ever had one.

it has no lateral lever.

it has a lever cap of a design I hadn't seen before.

on the blade is stamped (very faintly)

L. BAILEY'S
PATENT
AUG. 6, 57
AUG. 31, 58 EXT.

It's entirely useable, given a sharpening.
I find myself wondering what it's worth to a collector....

tumblr_nla8q9bRNd1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8q239YU1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8pwS7681qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8pjQK221qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8p9HobP1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8p1v9vz1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8ouA50t1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nla8okeh4U1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

About £5.... By the way I'm looking for a block plane currently xD

It's a lovely little thing though, thanks for sharing. No idea what it's worth to a collector sorry, just ebay it.

Burn in hell? No, I don't think so.

There comes a point in one's woodworking activities when you have the tools you need, and maybe a few more, after years of patient acquisition of knowledge and equipment. At this point, life starts to play games with you; tools start to find you. You see them lying around in junk shops, at flea-markets - previously your mind wasn't really tuned to 'tool', and you didn't see them, even if they were there. When people discover that you're a fairly serious woodworker, they start giving you tools (mostly either junk or things you already have more examples of than you need).

When you don't have tools, you have to go out and find them. When you have the tools you need, more of them come to find you! There's absolutely nothing whatsoever you can do to avoid this.

PS - It's a nice little plane, though. Looks like it wears it's 130 years or so quite lightly. Might be fun to see how well it works, compared to it's younger brethren.

I guess this means that I have hit the really steep part of the slope....

Cheshirechappie":1jpz95sj said:
Burn in hell? No, I don't think so.

There comes a point in one's woodworking activities when you have the tools you need, and maybe a few more, after years of patient acquisition of knowledge and equipment. At this point, life starts to play games with you; tools start to find you. You see them lying around in junk shops, at flea-markets - previously your mind wasn't really tuned to 'tool', and you didn't see them, even if they were there. When people discover that you're a fairly serious woodworker, they start giving you tools (mostly either junk or things you already have more examples of than you need).

When you don't have tools, you have to go out and find them. When you have the tools you need, more of them come to find you! There's absolutely nothing whatsoever you can do to avoid this.

PS - It's a nice little plane, though. Looks like it wears it's 130 years or so quite lightly. Might be fun to see how well it works, compared to it's younger brethren.

Very interesting looking plane, and one of the more creative depth adjustment mechanisms I've seen - reminiscent of that of the Lie Nielsen low angle smoother (just upside down!)

I don't think there's anything wrong with being able to recognise an early example in good condition and wanting to help it stay that way.

Similarly there would be nothing wrong with using it, perhaps with a replacement iron if the original is getting a bit short. In fact occasional respectful use and a light oiling from time to time is probably by far the best way of preserving it.

Better that than some prannock daubing smoothrite everywhere and flogging it on ebay as 'restored'.

Back