Identifying old tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardHants

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify these tools and have a guess at their age?

The top one is a Stanley 71 1/2 router, but it's made of brass. Patrick's blood and gore says Stanley never made them in brass, but pattern makers often cast their own copies. So, is this one of those copies?

The block plane is also brass, with no manufacturer's name, so I am guessing that the same pattern maker cast this one himself too. Is it a copy of something, or his own design?

The bottom tool has two adjustable fences with a blade in the centre. Is it a special kind of spokeshave, or is there some other word for it? There is no manufacturer's name.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Attachments

• P1060940.JPG
    P1060940.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • P1060941.JPG
    P1060941.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • P1060942.JPG
    P1060942.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Andy's right.

The shave was made by Edward Preston, I think that it is a No: 1386 Circular Rabbeting Shave and was originally sold with two pairs of movable fences. Though the fences often get lost. The ones that you have allow the shave to be worked in the centre of a wide piece; the alternate pair were designed to butt up to the side of the stock or to position the stock on the work. They were used for cutting the rebate below rails and banisters on stairs, as well as other things. Useful tool, even today. They didn't always bear the maker's name though if the blade is original, you may find the name there beneath the crud.

I have one here, somewhere with both sets of fences...... need to find it to make a photo.

The small plane is some sort of 'Chariot' or 'Irish' Plane, dunno why they are named that way..... very popular at the present for collectors.......both turn up regularly on eBay if you want to check prices.

Thank you for those replies. That's very helpful. I've started a new thread with another question about the scraper plane.

Back