i'm giving up metric

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanlock Dod and Niki bring up and important point I should have made also. I use centimeters in woodworking and not millimeters like the "pros" appear to do even when dealing with long distances or large furnitures.

It's easy, the figures are not large and adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying is simple mathematics. Dimensions get big, swith to meters just like that :D 312cm -> 3.12m

How come so many of you lot got educated in the 60s and actually learnt something.

According to my father the 60s is where it all went wrong, spelling, hand writing etc did not matter so long as the ideas and content were good.

I'm glad we don't buy petrol by the gallon anymore, can you imagine how much it would cost? 90 pence a litre seems so cheap :wink:

Andy

dedee":1hbeqvdi said:
How come so many of you lot got educated in the 60s and actually learnt something.

According to my father the 60s is where it all went wrong, spelling, hand writing etc did not matter so long as the ideas and content were good.
I was, although my education started back in the late 1950s in Scotland where we used to have a spelling book (10 words to be learned every night, including weekends, for 6 years). By the time I was doing an HNC in the 1970s I recall people being pulled off ONC and HNC courses to do additional English and Maths classes before being allowed to continue due to numeracy/literacy problems. This literacy/numeracy issue is therefore not new, IMHO. I think the big change came when certain examination boards such as the JMB decided that it was unimportant that a student couldn't spell or was illegible or ungrammatical in their scribblings, so long as they could get the gist of the idea across in their papers. Prior to that it was actually possible to drop 10% or more of your marks for poor literacy/legibility and/or lack of arithmetic ability. I'm afraid that I'm old enough not to agree with that - surely if your communictions are illiterate then you are always running the risk of misunderstandinmg?

Scrit

Scrit":12l7qhu7 said:
Prior to that it was actually possible to drop 10% or more of your marks for poor literacy/legibility and/or lack of arithmetic ability.

It's even worse now. I know several people who have great difficulty writing with a pen because they spend so much time using computers. They have actually forgotten how to write and form letters :shock: :shock:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1d1fjvh0 said:
Scrit":1d1fjvh0 said:
Prior to that it was actually possible to drop 10% or more of your marks for poor literacy/legibility and/or lack of arithmetic ability.

It's even worse now. I know several people who have great difficulty writing with a pen because they spend so much time using computers. They have actually forgotten how to write and form letters :shock: :shock:

Paul

Scrit,

I'm much younger than you, but where I went to school and university, you could lose a full grade (i.e. A to B, B to C, etc.) for 2 mistakes per page. Those mistakes could be spelling, punctuation, grammar or even just typos. So 8 per page could cause a fail, no matter how well thought out and researched your essay might otherwise be.

Paul,

My penmanship has always been atrocious no matter how hard I tried, so computers are a godsend. :wink:

Brad

I can remember decimilisation and like others here started off with imperial and then switched to metric. My education was all science based and this leads you very much into using the metric system that is so much more sensible for such things.

However, I like imperial and do use it quite often.

Anyway, we have to keep imperial, jokes such as: 'Why can't women park cars? Because men tell them this (holds hands apart) is 203.2mm' Doesn't really have the same impact as it's imperial version. :wink:

wrightclan":y5jf58fd said:
Paul,

My penmanship has always been atrocious no matter how hard I tried, so computers are a godsend. :wink:

Brad

You are right, computers are a godsend in many ways. But I think it's a pity that the personal, handwritten note seems to have almost died out - I always felt it was a delightful way of communicating.

Paul

Scrit":2eryannf said:
. . . I'm afraid that I'm old enough not to agree with that - surely if your communictions are illiterate then you are always running the risk of misunderstandinmg?Scrit

I do so love irony :lol:

Steve

Just bought a new tyre for the wife's car.

165/65/13

Thats 165mm wide, 65% aspect ratio, 13" wheel.

Nick W":3efvhe5m said:
Just bought a new tyre for the wife's car.

165/65/13

Thats 165mm wide, 65% aspect ratio, 13" wheel.

& they'll use an imperial 4 way nut spinner & make a mess of the metric wheel nuts.

As you can see by my avatar, I'm a bit of a cyclist (or at least I still like to think of myself as one.) :roll:

Anyway, virtually everything on decent modern bikes are metric(and have been for decades). The one thing that is almost always Imperial (BSC) is the bottom bracket. That's the axle and bearing assembly to which the crankset is fitted. It's threaded 1-3/8 x 24 tpi(threads per inch.) No matter where in the world, a bike is made, it will probably use this standard. The only exception being Italy (and even then, some use BSC). On most high end Italian bikes, they use the Italian standard which is 36mm x 24tpi(threads per inch. :shock: :wink:

Brad

There is a misconception about metric that has resulted the UK using the wrong base measurements.
We were told that metric was decimalm in the same way that we were told that the new money (since 1971) was decimal.
Strange, I always thought that decimal = 10 as the base.
Money is in units of 100 not 10. 100 pence to the pound.
Metric is in units of 1000 not 10 or 100.
Centimetres are not one of the internationally recognised units of length.
S.I. (metric) uses millimetre, metre and kilometre.
Centimetres were only put on school rulers because they were the closest to the inch, approx 2½cm = 1". Millemetres are too small for kids to see and the metre rule couldn't be carried without being used as swords :lol:
I have seen a lot of mistakes when using centimetres & millimetres. I once saw some house building measurements containing 2 decimal points put on a planning application for an extension. It took me a long time to correct the errors to put them all in metres.
Metric was based on an error anyway. The kilometre was based on a calculation of the diameter of the Earth which the Napolionic French mathematicians got wrong.
The mile was based on the circumference of the Earth with 1,000 being equal to 1 hour. This was only an approximation. The true unit of 1 hour = 1,000 is the nautical mile (knot)
The metric units do not have the divisors in imperial.
If you use the base ten you can have half or one fifth.
With the imperial foot based on the duodecimal system you can half, quarter, eighth, thirty second etc as well as a third, sixth, twelfth etc.
I worked with imperial until metric became the standard in the 70s and found little difference with machining practice. The metric micrometre used 1/10th mm (4 thou) with the vernier scale at 1/10 of that. This was massive compared to my inch micrometre that measured in thousandths and the vernier measure went to 1/10th of a thou.
Given the choice, its feet and inches everytime for me, especially working with wood. My house was built in imperial and I hate having to buy 2.7m when I want 8' then cut the excess off for the scrap bin.

Long live Imperial and bring back pounds, shillings and pence.

Dewy - metres are the SI unit of length. Both cm, mm, km just apply standard multiples to that base unit. And they are all perfectly acceptable.
Cheers
Gidon

Dewy":3mvgekee said:
...snip...
Long live Imperial and bring back pounds, shillings and pence.

Which first started its move to decimalisation in Queen Victoria’s time when in 1847 a proposal for decimalisation of the pound resulted in the Florin (2shilling) piece being issued in 1849 as the start of the move to dividing the pound into 100 units.

This caused an adverse reaction even to the point of having to withhold the minting of the Half Crown for a period to encourage the new coins acceptance.

I believe the public opposition to this move was so great because it was perceived as a means of upping prices by raising the smallest denomination coin value that the conversion was dropped until we had a more gullible population.

I suspect that it might be a similar period of time before the mixed standards show a similar order of magnitude of prominence of metrication.

For what its worth - it seems that our inches are not the length they used to be.

Every country in the world uses the metric system although many products are still manufactured in common sizes for public use. The metric system was devised by French scientists in the late 18th century to replace the chaotic collection of units then in use. The goal of this effort was to produce a system that did not rely on a miscellany of separate standards, and to use the decimal system rather than fractions.

To obtain a standard of length a quadrant of the earth (one-fourth of a circumference) was surveyed from Dunquerque in France to Barcelona in Spain along the meridian that passes through Paris. The distance from the North Pole to the equator was divided into ten million parts to constitute the meter (spelled metre in some countries). The definition of the meter has become more and more precise through the years since, even though its length has not changed. Currently the meter is the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299 792 458 second.

The nautical mile used in modern navigation, in relation to which boat speeds and wind velocities are measured (one knot is one nautical-mile-per-hour), is approximately one minute of latitude. A degree of latitude therefore is about 60 nautical miles. The quadrant of the earth measured by the French, being 90 degrees, measures 90x60 or 5400 nautical miles. Therefore: 5400 nautical miles equal about 10-million meters, or 10 000 kilometers.

Aviation maps (WAC), scaled to one-millionth actual size, can be measured with an ordinary "ruler." One millimeter on the map equals one kilometer on the ground. Curiously, one sixteenth of an inch on the same map represents almost exactly one statute mile on the ground (within 1.38%).

On April 5, 1893 the inch was redefined as precisely 1/39.37 meter, and in a very real sense we have been using the metric system ever since. In 1959 the length of the inch was shortened slightly to its present definition of 2.540 000 000 centimeters.

The centimeter is about the width of your little finger. The "hand" (used for measuring horses) is about 10 centimeters, or a decimeter.

The speed of light, a universal constant, is almost exactly 300 megameters per second.

The circumference of the earth is 40 megameters (by the original definition of the meter in the eighteenth century).

Which other countries, besides the U.S., do not use the metric system?

According to a survey taken by USMA many years ago, the only other countries that have not officially adopted the metric system are Liberia (in western Africa) and Burma (also known as Myanmar, in Southeast Asia).

Shultzy":1xtjsoav said:
The goal of this effort was to produce a system that did not rely on a miscellany of separate standards, and to use the decimal system rather than fractions. <snip> Currently the meter is the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299 792 458 second.
I think the goal to eliminate fractions maybe a way off yet.... :wink:

Shultzy,

That was fascinating (okay, je suis un anorak :oops: ).
I never realised that our imperial measures were actually now defined in realtion to SI units. .

A bit of searching found:
In the United Kingdom, the use of the international pound was implemented in the Weights and Measures Act 1963.[1]

“ The yard or the metre shall be the unit of measurement of length and the pound or the kilogram shall be the unit of measurement of mass by reference to which any measurement involving a measurement of length or mass shall be made in the United Kingdom; and- (a) the yard shall be 0·9144 metre exactly;(b) the pound shall be 0·453 592 37 kilogram exactly.”

Weights and Measures Act, 1963, Section 1(1)

I always wondered why the inch was exactly 2.54cm. :?

Back