i'm giving up metric

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/2, 15/16 inch, 2 thou, 2 guineas, 6 shillings and a farthing, steam engines, horse drawn carts, caravans, bar-humbug ban the lot. Anyone caught using or talking about the previous items should be tarred and feathered and be paraded about town as an example. :shock:

Embrace the 21st century and all its modern glorys not the rose tinted halcyon days :lol:

I am of an age where I got taught both I too imagine sizes in feet but usually find metric easier to use...

1mm = 10 to a cm
1cm = 100 to a mtr
1mtr = 1000 to a klm

This all seems easier to work out than inches and feet to me?

David C":2glnr6vw said:
How about the Bob which makes lots of sense?
I'm glad you mentioned that, David. All in favour of the Bob, then? :lol:

Scrit

All this talk of "I use metric" "I use feet and inches"......

There is an easy test.....

I'll ask you one question and be honest with your first thoughts for the answer
. How far is it to your nearest pub?
So what was it? Yards! Miles! or Metres! kilometers

senior":1rim1n9y said:
I can't believe it, I'm a child of the sixties but you've got to move with the times, anyone who says measuring in imperial is easier is BONKERS.

Whatever. But I havent actually said that measuring in imperial is nessesarily easier, frankly I dont care what system anyone uses as long as the work comes out right size and fits etc. But I certainly do resent the metricalisation which is being imposed for no good reason other than to establish enforced global collectivism and keep beauracrat's busy. I'd feel exactly the same if inche's/cubitts/cun's etc were being imposed the same way. I wouldnt object to mini meter's if I had a CHOICE as to wether I wanted to use them, or not as the case may be. So long live the inch, in all its variously named european form's. To me mini meter's represent a new form of imperialistic euro centrism which we once saw in the supposed "superiority" of greek architecture, or the "superiority" of western classical scales and interval's in music. Now the beauracrat's are telling us their metric system is "superior" And sadly lots of people believe it .

PS You dont necessarily Have to move with the times, (or is that another new EU rule?) Otherwise why do some woodworker's still use hand tools? In fact why make anything by hand when a computer and a cnc robot can do it? :wink: :lol: :lol:
cheers Jonathan :D

mr spanton":2v05e8t3 said:
senior":2v05e8t3 said:
I can't believe it, I'm a child of the sixties but you've got to move with the times, anyone who says measuring in imperial is easier is BONKERS.

Whatever. But I havent actually said that measuring in imperial is nessesarily easier, frankly I dont care what system anyone uses as long as the work comes out right size and fits etc. But I certainly do resent the metricalisation which is being imposed for no good reason other than to establish enforced global collectivism and keep beauracrat's busy. I'd feel exactly the same if inche's/cubitts/cun's etc were being imposed the same way. I wouldnt object to mini meter's if I had a CHOICE as to wether I wanted to use them, or not as the case may be. So long live the inch, in all its variously named european form's. To me mini meter's represent a new form of imperialistic euro centrism which we once saw in the supposed "superiority" of greek architecture, or the "superiority" of western classical scales and interval's in music. Now the beauracrat's are telling us their metric system is "superior" And sadly lots of people believe it .

PS You dont necessarily Have to move with the times, (or is that another new EU rule?) Otherwise why do some woodworker's still use hand tools? In fact why make anything by hand when a computer and a cnc robot can do it? :wink: :lol: :lol:
cheers Jonathan :D

I totally agree Johnathon and I won't let metric be forced on me but since it's here I thought I'd try it and found it an easier system to use.

The thing is that piece of wood is the same size whether in metric or imperial so just go with what works best for you... :wink:

Surely it depends on what we are comfortable with at the time a project is started. Some of my plans are in metric and for those I use the metric system because converting would make no sense. Similarly for imperial plans.

wow, this has turned out to be a can of worms :shock:

i personally prefer metric and want to use metric, but my point was that the tool industry is so dominated by the USA, that it is almost impossible to buy metric only tools the most fundamental of which is tape measures. No matter what you do some aspect will have a non metric component. it easier if you give in :twisted:

first it was a 1/2 inch here and there
all my friends were doing it
the more i used them the more i needed them
then it was whole inches and feet
i use them every day, i cant live without them

i can handle it, i've just got a cold thats all :roll:

Tom

Tombo, don't let the power of the dark side tempt you, use the force and venture forth with the decimal people.

I too was brought up using both measurements and seem to use whatever seems best at the time,but a question for everyone if asked your shoe size would you allways say size 11 ?or does anyone actually use say the european size 46 for example. I don`t know anyone who uses these new measurements.

interesting thread,
i think both systems are easy to work with on solid dimensions of products say a door opening or a cabinet,--but when it comes to detail ie-gaps around doors stile,rail sizes ect--my brain switches to imperial as this is the way i visualize,(my pub is 3/4 of a mile away),metric was brought in when i was around 10-11 yrs old at school so my theory is that if you happened to be one of these inbetweenies whom were in their 1st yr at high school 1970-1971 you fall within the category of having a lot of confusion as this changeover happened,so if you run into any 45,46,47 yr olds & they have a perplexed,confused disposition you now know the reason.

solls,pouces,whats all that(i musta missed school that day).

mini meters is that like esperanto in measuring or something.

regards -shivers.

We might think we use metric, but how heavy are you? and How tall are you? I bet both your answers won't be metric, not unless you got a conversion chart handy to cheat... :lol:

senior":tkznb472 said:
Tombo, don't let the power of the dark side tempt you, use the force and venture forth with the decimal people.

LOL you sound like comic book man off the simpson's :lol:

Shivers":tkznb472 said:
solls,pouces,whats all that(i musta missed school that day).

mini meters is that like esperanto in measuring or something.

Mini meters is just mini me being cheeky taking the **** out of millimeters. I dislike metric as you may well have been able to ascertain :wink: :lol: solls pouces etc just 2 of many expressions derived from a long tradition of genuine european cultural diversity, of different non metric ways of expressing dimension's.

I worked 4 years doing motorway signs-in metric, 4 years screen printing-in metric; over a year refurbing pallet's again in metric, 7 years making upvc windows-in metric. Despite this I still cannot visualise dimension's in metric. EG what is 820 mm OK ....erm, lets see, right 100 mm = 4 inch =8 x 4 = 32 20 mm = 1 inch = 32 + 1 = 33 inches = bit less than a yard, about half my height, right I can see it now :roll: :wink:

see jonathan--a double post inbetweenie syndrome had to make sure ,lol.

regards

tombo
i use both
depends on what im doing really
if we read drawings there all in metric
we order materials in imperial
luckily im conversant with both :shock:
but wouldnt want to choose

being an old pipper, ie before 1950, (well actually 1948) i was taught in imperial, and then i make and design models that are scaled to 4mm =1foot, but the drawings are in imperial, so i draw in full size on the computer, then scale the export to the printer for the metric output.

however, in woodworking i do find inches easier to live with, especially when i have to buy the wood in cubic metres of 2x1 :lol:

as for multiplying fractions, i was taught the following.
place them all along a piece of paper then multiply the top lot together,
write down the answer on the right hand side.
then underneath multiply the bottom lot together, and write that answer down under neath on the right hand side. you'll end up with a number of 64ths, which you can round up, or leave as they are.

or,

you can multiply the decimal. divide the lower number into the upper one, as you go along the line, and then add them together.

or have i gone too far to the other dark side :twisted: :roll:

paul

Back