I'm done with the For Sale section of the site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lurker":3aezdyoo said:
Apparently I have been on this forum for over 10 years.
The rules have pretty much remained the same IIRC
So if it ain't broke.........

People come and people go, but the way this forum works continues.

Just because "that's the way it has always been" doesn't make it right or optimal.

Bodgers":38ybzawr said:
lurker":38ybzawr said:
Apparently I have been on this forum for over 10 years.
The rules have pretty much remained the same IIRC
So if it ain't broke.........

People come and people go, but the way this forum works continues.

Just because "that's the way it has always been" doesn't make it right or optimal.

Really ?

This is starting to get as boring as thread on sharpening.

You're on a website thats kept running by the hard work (and believe me it's hard work, I used to moderate a gaming site with a population of 200 and the shi*e we used to deal with.... UKW has I dunno? How many thousand members?) You want to sell or buy you abide by a code of honour that from what I see 99.9% abide by. It's a voluntary thing done mostly by a code of honour. There's no price protection, there's no insurance. No Paypal Guarantee. But it works nearly all the time.
If you abide by the spirit of it it's fine.
It's governed by trust in strangers that share an interest. The same reason I've have been sent nice timber by a man I never met for free because he has a genuine interest in helping no hopers like me, the same reason I been sent free files by a top man in Wales. One fella turned a front knob for a plane for me for nothing. I bought my favourite plane off another guy fully tuned for £20. A lovely fella put my bench through his industrial p/t when I was just starting out Free of charge. Took a break from cleaning a broken macerator on a sunday at work to do it and never once laughed at my silly person questions.
I can carry on listing the kindnesses of strangers if you want.
In all honesty. If I'd never found this site I'd probably have given up by now. Even my small and infrequent projects are spurred on by the enthusiasms of others, the willingness of those wanting to share and being really inspired by those more skillful than me.
I've been the grateful recipent of answered questions on everything from backing boards for showers to close setting a cap iron and the best way to sharpen. Just kidding about the last two. I already knew the best ways t do that. :D
Point being, in a rambling and roundabout way, I haven't strayed off the path at all. It's all part of the same thing.
It's about trust and it's about community.
No disrespect intended Bodgers, I don't come on here to make enemies or be rude. Ever.
I can do that in real life.
There's always Ebay fella.

Greatest Respects.
Chris

Wonder if Naz is making something exciting. Pretty much all his projects I'd have loved to make myself. I thought I could get an impression of my nieces teeth than make the ice lolly being eaten thingymejig for the kitchen. I rescued a hoover that my mum was throwing out cause I thought I could make a hoover engine like his. If you're reading this Naz pm me a few pointers on how to do the engine please. Better still, poke your head in the door and don't be a stranger.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bm101":rocejito said:
You're on a website thats kept running by the hard work (and believe me it's hard work, I used to moderate a gaming site with a population of 200 and the shi*e we used to deal with.... UKW has I dunno? How many thousand members?) You want to sell or buy you abide by a code of honour that from what I see 99.9% abide by. It's a voluntary thing done mostly by a code of honour. There's no price protection, there's no insurance. No Paypal Guarantee. But it works nearly all the time.
If you abide by the spirit of it it's fine.
It's governed by trust in strangers that share an interest. The same reason I've have been sent nice timber by a man I never met for free because he has a genuine interest in helping no hopers like me, the same reason I been sent free files by a top man in Wales. One fella turned a front knob for a plane for me for nothing. I bought my favourite plane off another guy fully tuned for £20. A lovely fella put my bench through his industrial p/t when I was just starting out Free of charge. Took a break from cleaning a broken macerator on a sunday at work to do it and never once laughed at my silly person questions.
I can carry on listing the kindnesses of strangers if you want.
In all honesty. If I'd never found this site I'd probably have given up by now. Even my small and infrequent projects are spurred on by the enthusiasms of others, the willingness of those wanting to share and being really inspired by those more skillful than me.
I've been the grateful recipent of answered questions on everything from backing boards for showers to close setting a cap iron and the best way to sharpen. Just kidding about the last two. I already knew the best ways t do that. :D
Point being, in a rambling and roundabout way, I haven't strayed off the path at all. It's all part of the same thing.
It's about trust and it's about community.
No disrespect intended Bodgers, I don't come on here to make enemies or be rude. Ever.
I can do that in real life.
There's always Ebay fella.

Greatest Respects.
Chris

^^^ That's basically why most of us are here, to be part of a community. 5 pages of mostly sharpening thread value wouldn't be here if, like 99% of members, the OP excepted their mistake and moved on. Starting a thread moaning about being reminded of the rules, insulting mods, members and the site in general ain't going to change anything one little iota. If, as the thread title indicates, the OP is not going to use the FS board again why care about how it's run?
As I said earlier NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE (I'm raising my voice a little in case I'm being misunderstood). I'm minded to close the thread, mainly 'cause Roger S is getting bored, but will leave it open.

So, to repeat, nowt is going to change, board rules work well for all. Certainly going by my experience from looking at feedback and moderating the FS board it runs smoothly, provides a free and friendly service and has been a popular addition to the site since we introduced it.

So, there you go.

I never did try to throw my weight around as the sysop of a free access bulletin board before many of you were even born, but I encountered many who did, it's really disheartening to see that even 35 years on some people are still of the opinion that being in favour with the sysop automatically means they're somehow "special".

As Esther Rantzen once said about such jobsworths , "it's the petty officialdom of bureaucracy gone mad".

Col.

It boils my wee when I see mods having a hard time trying to enforce the rules. They donate their time and energy doing the best they can to keep the place running smoothly. It can't be an easy task and i for one appreciate the effort they put into making this place what it is. I'm sure there are many others out there that feel the same .
For the minority of handbag swingers who seem hell bent on causing agro, stop being a 'turnip head' and taking the forum for granted. Show some appreciation to the guys that keep the cogs greased up and turning.

Cheers
Coley

I've stated my appreciation of the mods many times Coley but they're big boys who can look after themselves and don't need anyone babysitting them so why bother getting your p** or anything else boiled for that matter.

We're all entitled to an opinion, which will always differ but doesn't mean that there isn't something of value in all of those so sensible and courteous discussion is what it's all about is it not?

cheers
Bob

There's only so much of moron I can tolerate.

A photography forum of which I am a member once had a "for sale" section. A similar thread to this sprung up with much bickering, arguing and name calling. The "for sale" section was closed and has remained so. Be warned.

Moron is in the eye of the beholder and also a subjective opinion Coley but life is too short to get steamed up about it mate.

We called to see a couple yesterday who have been good friends for over 30 years, she has cancer and has only days, if lucky a couple of weeks left, I spent an hour with my mate taking their dog for a walk while my missus sat with his wife and I listened as he poured his heart out. That came on top of losing my sister suddenly when she had a stoke on Christmas eve and at far too young an age kind of brings you down to earth and makes you focus more on what is really important in life.

cheers
Bob

Sorry to hear about your friends and sister Bob. I think it took me until my mid 20's to realise how precious and short life is.

Reading the forum, the more I notice bickering going on. Probably 75% of the time it's over the save thing, it gets hard to not read it. The more bickering the less good stuff.
We only get to look at the tip of the iceberg as far as the forums concerned. Only the mods are aware what lurks beneath the water. I don't think the rules would have been made just for the sake of it. There must have been alot of thought and amendments over time for all of them to be implemented. I'd love to know the story behind the 'turnip head' comment in the rules.
Apologies for the moron comment, that was uncalled for.

Coley

CHJ":1rrh43nv said:
A few points to regarding the rules.
Nobody wants them

I do ............ I like rules, makes life simple.

I am pretty sure calling somebody a turnip head and a moron is also against the rules.

But I guess nothing will be done about that.

To all those complaining about the verbosity of the thread and it's exsistance - you don't have to read it.

I agree with the for sale section being shut down (as it was in the previously mentioned on a photography) - it is not fit for purpose anyway.

My intention was not to devalue the work of site admins, just to draw attention to the fact the rules need attention and the way they are being applied.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Bodgers":61prprna said:
I am pretty sure calling somebody a turnip head and a moron is also against the rules.

But I guess nothing will be done about that.

To all those complaining about the verbosity of the thread and it's exsistance - you don't have to read it.

I agree with the for sale section being shut down (as it was in the previously mentioned on a photography) - it is not fit for purpose anyway.

My intention was not to devalue the work of site admins, just to draw attention to the fact the rules need attention and the way they are being applied.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Thought I was back in the school playground there for a moment, it's not your ball to take away and the rest of us would quite like to keep playing thank you very much :roll: :lol:

I admitted I was wrong, I'll accept my punishment. To be honest it was worth it !!

phil.p":3tondc8z said:
"I agree with the for sale section being shut down (as it was in the previously mentioned on a photography) - it is not fit for purpose anyway."

Works perfectly well for me. :D
Just for the record I didn't suggest the "for sale" section should be shut down. I was just warning what happened on another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back