I'm done with the For Sale section of the site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RogerS":5sk3b8hq said:
Oh, c'mon, guys. We've all got better things to do.

Let's leave things at that and move on.

Roger, best suggestion you've made since 1994... : )

In all seriousness, good idea.

Noel":2gp2w7nx said:
MrTeroo":2gp2w7nx said:
The NazNomad situation could also have been easily avoided. A longstanding member has now left the forum it seems because of rude 'my way or the highway' moderating

come on mods, stop circling the wagons and listen a bit more please?

Any member indulging in racism, bigotry or sectarianism of any nature will be sanctioned.

Not the whole story though is it?

NazNomad had a post removed and obviously wasn't notified, leading him to ask why.

Nev informed him that a comment he made that was ok in the 70's was not ok now, describing it as casual racism

NazNomad replied: Seriously? *sigh*

To which Nev responded that if Naz didn't like it he could - "spew your racist bile elsewhere"

It went from casual racism from the 70's to racist bile in a heartbeat.

NazNomad then requested that his content be removed.

That was heavy handed and hysterical moderating in my opinion.

NazNomad was spoken to as though he was the leader of the local KKK clan.

Your attempt to gloss over this and the tone of you response to rafezeteer, Noel, is arrogant to say the least.

I like the moderators...........
but I always imagine this scene when it comes to mod discussions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTj4naIdAs

Now, take my case. They hung me up here five years ago. Every night, they take me down for twenty minutes, then they hang me up again, which I regard as very fair, in view of what I done, and, if nothing else, it's taught me to respect the Moderators, and it's taught me... that you'll never get anywhere in this life, unless you're prepared to do a fair day's work for a fair day's pay!

I'm a fan of Nazs work, he's one of my favourite posters. When I saw his post I was quite shocked he came out with that. I didn't report it cause I like the bloke but was surprised it stayed up as long as it did. I'll say it again, I really like the bloke but i thought his comment was ridiculous for a public forum viewed by many. It seemed out of character compared with his normal good sense of humour. I don't know what other option there could have been as soon as a mod were to see it. That's why I can understand Nevs reaction- Course it's been deleted, what other choice was there !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

doctor Bob":h2zt1ry5 said:
I like the moderators...........
but I always imagine this scene when it comes to mod discussions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTj4naIdAs

Now, take my case. They hung me up here five years ago. Every night, they take me down for twenty minutes, then they hang me up again, which I regard as very fair, in view of what I done, and, if nothing else, it's taught me to respect the Moderators, and it's taught me... that you'll never get anywhere in this life, unless you're prepared to do a fair day's work for a fair day's pay!

Hahaha - how very strange - I was only referring to that particular LoB scene a week ago on a different forum about bias from moderators shown towards "fanboys" of that particular game allowing them to disparage, sometimes quite harshly those who would criticize the game; all the while heavily moderating or outright deleting any posts that criticise the game and the fanboys defending it.

(I'm not saying that happening here, at all, I'm just remarking on the coincedence.)

ColeyS1":2ndzb4ht said:
I'm a fan of Nazs work, he's one of my favourite posters. When I saw his post I was quite shocked he came out with that. I didn't report it cause I like the bloke but was surprised it stayed up as long as it did. I'll say it again, I really like the bloke but i thought his comment was ridiculous for a public forum viewed by many. It seemed out of character compared with his normal good sense of humour. I don't know what other option there could have been as soon as a mod were to see it. That's why I can understand Nevs reaction- Course it's been deleted, what other choice was there !

There was none for sure, but Naz should have been notified - or if he was - notified in a way that left no room for ambiguous interpretation.

I know some people have issues with the PC crowd, but Naz isn't an silly person he must have known it was, what it was.

Even my 72 yr old father does, because he's started to add "I'm not allowed to say that" - but only after #-o I doubt there's enough time to make him stop altogether.

My dad's the same. He's 80 now and it's only been the last 10 or so years he's started to reel it in a bit. I was brought up listening to Kevin bloody Wilson so I've heard much worse over the years ! Just don't expect to see it in black and white with my morning cereal. Lol

My bad I meant Rogers, been up a long time when I typed it sorry

ColeyS1":119dvnss said:
Course it's been deleted, what other choice was there !

I agree. Perfectly right that it was deleted, but it could have been handled a lot better. Especially considering NazNomad is a longstanding contributor.

Yeah that Roger bloke ! I've absolutely no idea either ha

MrTeroo":2dw0eljj said:
ColeyS1":2dw0eljj said:
Course it's been deleted, what other choice was there !

I agree. Perfectly right that it was deleted, but it could have been handled a lot better. Especially considering NazNomad is a longstanding contributor.
I think that's probably why he didn't get banned for a few days tbh !

MrTeroo":fve0ozai said:
Noel":fve0ozai said:
MrTeroo":fve0ozai said:
The NazNomad situation could also have been easily avoided. A longstanding member has now left the forum it seems because of rude 'my way or the highway' moderating

come on mods, stop circling the wagons and listen a bit more please?

Any member indulging in racism, bigotry or sectarianism of any nature will be sanctioned.

Not the whole story though is it?

NazNomad had a post removed and obviously wasn't notified, leading him to ask why.

Nev informed him that a comment he made that was ok in the 70's was not ok now, describing it as casual racism

NazNomad replied: Seriously? *sigh*

To which Nev responded that if Naz didn't like it he could - "spew your racist bile elsewhere"

It went from casual racism from the 70's to racist bile in a heartbeat.

NazNomad then requested that his content be removed.

That was heavy handed and hysterical moderating in my opinion.

NazNomad was spoken to as though he was the leader of the local KKK clan.

Your attempt to gloss over this and the tone of you response to rafezeteer, Noel, is arrogant to say the least.

I will reply only once on this matter Mr. Teroo, as it has nothing to do with this thread and you have either misread or misunderstood my comments which are still available in the original thread, unedited, and in which can be seen that I did not say that they were acceptable in the 70's!

This is not an apology Naz was in the wrong.

I deleted an obviously racist and derogatory post. That would have been the end of it.

The offender would obviously realise that they had overstepped the acceptability line as there was no other reason to remove the post.

Instead the offender baits the moderators with the question 'why was my post deleted?'

Just in case the offender really didn't realise that his comments were unacceptable, I replied ...

'Because 70's slang terms for non WASP's is not tolerated.'
That is not saying that it was acceptable then or that it is was casual racism. It was stating the racism is not tolerated.

I most definitely did not say ..

"Nev informed him that a comment he made that was ok in the 70's was not ok now, describing it as casual racism"

anyway..

That would have been the end of it.

Then we get more baiting -

'Seriously? *sigh*'

So I then reply..
'And quite frankly if you think casual racism is acceptable then maybe you should spew it elsewhere.' (no bile mentioned!)

That would have been the end of it.

If at this point the offender does not accept that his comments are not acceptable in any society let alone on a public forum with rules that do not allow such comments, then if they want to go I'll be more than happy to help.

I did not at any point threaten Naz with removal from the forum. Everything is there in the original post.

Naz then threw his toys out. His choice. I obliged.

End of.

Just because you enjoy someones work or 'banter' is no reason to accept racist comment from anyone.

Having just checked my emails I have been given some information that changes my perception of what occured with Bodgers.

Apparently he was given every opportunity, argued it, argued some more and then got the hump before the sales thread could be re-instated minus the "give me offers" post, which would have happened if he'd waited 10 minutes more.

So I'd like to publicly and openly, and unreservedly apologise to the mod(s) for grabbing the wrong end of the stick, and frantically waving it about yelling "look at this !"

or (as monty Python seems to fit so many things) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

Not wishing to get drawn into this discussion too much and I wasn’t aware of the Naz thing, but respect to Nev for dealing with it. It’s too easy to overlook racism/bigotry etc when you like the person doing it. But actually, no, f*ck that person because that kind of behaviour has no place in society.

So thanks for keeping this place inclusive and hate free Nev.

doctor Bob":2rdeic4k said:

I remember those entertaining times with Brad Nailer :lol:

andys wood shed":3p02q0xu said:
doctor Bob":3p02q0xu said:

I remember those entertaining times with Brad Nailer :lol:

LOL....... good old days, I've had a few name changes since then, few fresh starts etc, but it was all done in the best possible taste back then, more mickey taking than the aggression aimed at mods now, think Doug is wrapped up in golf these days, I think he's doing alright, he had an extension and was considering an inside toilet, very upmarket for a Northerner.

rafezetter":2bpjljw9 said:
Having just checked my emails I have been given some information that changes my perception of what occured with Bodgers.

Apparently he was given every opportunity, argued it, argued some more and then got the hump before the sales thread could be re-instated minus the "give me offers" post, which would have happened if he'd waited 10 minutes more.

So I'd like to publicly and openly, and unreservedly apologise to the mod(s) for grabbing the wrong end of the stick, and frantically waving it about yelling "look at this !"

or (as monty Python seems to fit so many things) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

Well this thread took a left turn didn't it?

I didn't check back in on it after I posted, and then this...

Just to reply to this post. I'm not sure 'given every opportunity' is fair.

Firstly, what happened was heavy handed. My initial post for the thread was fine. Someone then posted to ask for further details on postage. Nothing went further. So I added a post that clarified that it was still for sale and that someone should offer me a deal before I list it 'elsewhere'.

So two points:

1. In a lot of for sale threads people reply and state an offer. This is not an offence, and goes on all the time. It is a normal part of the process. My listing had a fixed price, in a follow up post I basically stated what goes on elsewhere without issue. High crime?

2. My statement to say that I would list it elsewhere was phrased in the future conditional sense. I had not currently listed it on an auction site. It was a statement of possible future intent, if I couldn't sell it here. So no rules were broken.

I was not given every opportunity.

The thread was removed without first giving me an opportunity to fix what was wrong.

When it was taken down I was told it was for a breach of the rules, and when I protested, a clarification was given that it was not for the comments about the auction site, it was for the offers comment - despite the fact the listing was still at a FIXED PRICE. I protested that by saying the above and that the rules needed to change as offers on the fixed price were part of the normal selling/buying process.

I heard nothing back, the listing wasn't reinstated, so I posted this thread.

Like I say, I'm done with the selling section, so this is all academic. The rules need a rethink to allow the normal buying/selling process to happen. Users of the site should be listened to. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back