I'm back and have yet another daft question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm65

Established Member
Reaction score
Though this may not be as daft as previous questions

Looking in a roof void today and found the following -
IMAG0822(2).jpg

IMAG0823(2).jpg

IMAG0826(2).jpg

I will admit to a gentle prodding (nothing too vigorous in case any spores, tigers etc came out) and it was soft and crispy so hopefully dried up

Anyone know what this is ?

Attachments

• IMAG0822(2).jpg
    IMAG0822(2).jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 875
  • IMAG0823(2).jpg
    IMAG0823(2).jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 875
  • IMAG0826(2).jpg
    IMAG0826(2).jpg
    250 KB · Views: 875
wasps dont overwinter, well only the queens so you will be fine getting rid now. I am not sure whether they reuse nests- I dont think so.

Wasp nest - really ?

pipper, moving in to this place soon #-o

Given that I don't like killing our little friends, even if they sting and can be grumpy, what to do ? (already answered by marcros perhaps)

den,

only just seen your location. If you are concerned, i will bring my beekeeping kit over and take it out for you if you want- not sure quite when but you cant be far from me- I am in Kirkstall.

Just been looking at images on google and it would appear you guys are right (again =D> ) - I have a wasp nest - yay

Never knew they built such attractive nests though, almost a shame to get rid

Hi marcros - that's a very generous offer and I'm even closer to you know - this place is in wortley :)

Sounds like you know your bees (I'm resisting adding 'ness' to the end of that) - do I have anything to worry about ?

How can you tell if a nest is occupied without prodding ? I heard not a murmur and got quite close but would they be active ?

http://www.pestforce.co.uk/wasp-nest-removal.html

Gives you a bit more info. They don't store food so the workers will have long since died off. A prod is the best way, but reading that info, you are unlikely to have an issue with that nest again even if you leave it. Might be worth seeing where they got in though.

Thanks marcros, reads like everything should be ok - nest only used once

I'll leave it alone, have a look for ingress and block what I can

If I'm inundated in summer, i'll be looking for you though :wink:

Our policy is to leave wasp nests if they are not a nuisance. Wasps are very good in the garden - they eat caterpillars and other pests that attack the vegetables. If you do not threaten their nest they are generally good neighbours. Until the autumn that is. We have even shared our house with hornets with no problems (but slightly more anxiety).

One thing our local bug experts tell us is that wasps (and bees) are particularly attracted to the colour blue, something I overlooked when trying to eradicate a nest at my daughters and chose to wear blue overalls. They were at me even before I displayed any evil intentions.

wellywood":2hm1q6vz said:
bees are particularly attracted to the colour blue.

Not quite true.They see dark colours as a threatening shadow against the sky and attack. I once joined a beekeeper friend who was checking his hives for the first time in two years. I had a light coloured cotton shirt on and he wore dark maroon overalls. He had about fifteen stings, I had none.

I'm with DrPhill on the good that insects do and I believe every one of them has their place, so as I said, I will leave it be and see how things go

Thanks for all the comments though and I now know that I didn't know what a wasps nest looks like :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back