Ikea desk, new top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geofract

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old ikea desk, the top has become warped, down to me storing the top upright for some months.

I have the same desk as in the picture, save for all the guff on top.

Standing-Desk-With-Bookcase-Ikea.jpg

The desk has unsupported overhangs, of 20cm each side, with a total width of 80cm. I want to get a new (flat) top, that doesn't have to be anything pretty, as I will mainly be using it for assembling stuff, and will probably drill dog holes in it.

My only concern is the unsupported areas might bow/droop if I use MDF (18/25mm?). I had thought about 18mm ply, but wondered if there are cheaper alternatives I could consider?

G

Attachments

• Standing-Desk-With-Bookcase-Ikea.jpg
    Standing-Desk-With-Bookcase-Ikea.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 119
I hate to say it but why not try Ikea. The last time I was dragged around they sold tops separately so you could pick one up that suited you.

If you want to make one yourself you could use something like 8mm ply and glue battens to the underside to stiffen it. Something like 50x20 would be fine. I would suggest a skirt all the way around the edge and perhaps 2 across the length in the middle should be sufficient (like a H with 2 cross bars).

James

Thanks Jamesc

Sadly (or perhaps not) Ikea is a 3 hour drive from here, and delivery is expensive for large items.

I'll defo consider the H-frame idea though. Simple enough.

G

On further investigation, it looks like the original top is made of 18mm chipboard, birch veneered. I am surprised the unsupported parts haven't bowed.

Is chipboard quite stable?

Chipboard is surprisingly stable, My desk is veneered chipboard and has stood up to the abuse I have given it over the last 25 years. The top on my desk is about 25mm and is still doing well. Chipboard comes in various grade I believe. The stuff we can buy from the DIY sheds etc. is very poor quality with little strength whereas the stuff used in furniture and kitchens seems much better.

How about standing top down on the floor and screw down onto another piece of 18mm ply the same size.
The existing top won't go to waste then.
Regards Rodders

Thanks Rodders and James,

I'm going to recycle the existing top, cutting it up for my TS stand - the surface isn't great anyway.

I was doing a little research, chipboard does come in various grades it appears, and I have no idea what I can get hold of. However, then I started using an online deflection calculator - from what I can tell, the sag wouldn't be a problem in MDF, even the low density stuff. The deflection is minimal. And that's for a shelf, where each end is pinned, rather than a desk which is supported in the centre.

So I am starting to think 18mm might be fine after all.

Wow, sorry to have wasted anyone's time. There's an awful lot to learn about materials, and it's tricky to know where to start sometimes.

Calculator - http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

G

Back