If you're interested, I made another plane - With new photo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":ayeb4huo said:
woodbloke":ayeb4huo said:
Norris adjusters can be obtained from here ....

This could be the start of a whole new slope :lol: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Wrong there Paul, I'm afeared.....same slope, just a different Universe :lol: - Rob

Ian Dalziel":13spraup said:
Ray also uses a LH thread for the end eyelet also if you look closer at the eyelet end its all one piece....turned on a lathe using a ball turner then milled flat then bored out. Rays base plate is punched.........the shafts are taper turned......lot of work

Fair enough Ian, hadn't realised that he made it all from one piece :shock:

What I really meant was that they are too expensive to put on a woody - if one looks around, wooden planes sell for £50-£150ish and so the addition of a Norris adjuster would be nice, but adding £40?

Your(and Holtey's) infills would sell for thousands, and so £40 for an adjuster is easily soaked up.

Note - I am not selling planes and am not intending to offer them for sale :wink: , just a point that crossed my mind

Tony,
I too can see where you are coming from.

why not try an adjuster like Karls 11-SA .....this would suit a woodie a lot better than a Norris style

I

Harbo":3aan17rv said:
I have probably missed some of the earlier threads but can somebody recommend any books on the subject please?

You could always buy the last three copies of The Woodworker and read the articles, by a certain member of this forum, on making wooden planes. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

woodbloke":qnwou6fg said:
- guess who's got a copy of the Haywood book :lol:

Rob, in the section about strops I see that Charles Hayward even suggests the dodge about using Vaseline with the polishing compound - nothing's new, eh?

Paul

Paul Chapman":25ru3j5o said:
woodbloke":25ru3j5o said:
- guess who's got a copy of the Haywood book :lol:

Rob, in the section about strops I see that Charles Hayward even suggests the dodge about using Vaseline with the polishing compound - nothing's new, eh?

Paul
Paul - ....have to go and have a quick look while the brew cools down a tad :wink: - Rob

Paul - spot on, page 43. My edition aquired from LCC on the 11 Feb 1952 so I was then three weeks old :D - Rob

woodbloke":1wrx2ymj said:
My edition aquired from LCC on the 11 Feb 1952

My Record #05 Stay Set was probably nicked from the same school - it has 'LCC' (presumably London County Council) engraved on the side :oops:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3qfnt8pj said:
woodbloke":3qfnt8pj said:
My edition aquired from LCC on the 11 Feb 1952

My Record #05 Stay Set was probably nicked from the same school - it has 'LCC' (presumably London County Council) engraved on the side :oops:

Paul

Paul - mine says 'Shoreditch Training College'....just happened to run across it :whistle: in the in the library one day and thought it might be useful - Rob

A lot of those tools have been in and out of various educational institutions - they were frequently sold off from colleges to schools, and eventually sold off to the public. Or, as you say, acquired unofficially. Our school has some very heavy 50s stuff and later Startrites and Axminster kit etc as well as reasonably good quality hand tools. There's a Leigh Jig I've got my eye on...

Thanks for the leads.
I have already got the Whelan book and also David Finck's, but they are both "light" on making the blades. Finck refers to "The Making of Tools" by Alexander G Weygers has a good source of heat treatment info?
I will give your other recommendations a try though.

Speaking to my retired CDT teacher friend (who trained at Shoreditch) he says tempering is very easy with a blow torch and will give me a "teach-in" when I get to that stage. Cherry red, Cherry red............

Rod

Rod
A handy book is "Hardening, Tempering and Heat Treatment" by Tubal Cain. Its a Workshop Practise book - Axminster sell it.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

if any one wonted one of the adjusters i could probably do you some for the materials cost plus say 20 quid total around 25 quid depending on size
if you are interested send me a digram and we can see what we can do

and that goes for most metal working components just let me know

andy

[email protected]

I took delivery of Jim Kingshott's book on "Making & Modifying Woodworking Tools" - a fascinating read. He regards the best planes to have been made before 1930!
In it is a chapter on Norris adjusters with scale drawings.
The book contains some quite sophisticated metal planes to make and talks about castings and Norris adjusters being made available from "Bristol Designs, 14 Perry Road, Bristol".
Although the book was published in 1992, a Google search implied they were still in existence but with no web site?
Has anybody used them recently?

Rod

Harbo":30gklg0f said:
I took delivery of Jim Kingshott's book on "Making & Modifying Woodworking Tools" - a fascinating read. He regards the best planes to have been made before 1930!
In it is a chapter on Norris adjusters with scale drawings.
The book contains some quite sophisticated metal planes to make and talks about castings and Norris adjusters being made available from "Bristol Designs, 14 Perry Road, Bristol".
Although the book was published in 1992, a Google search implied they were still in existence but with no web site?
Has anybody used them recently?

Rod

Rod - I have this one and also 'The Workshop' by Jim Kingshott and both are excellent...I got mine as free books from F&C some time ago - Rob

Rod
Bristol Designs are still in business- no website as such. Drop them a line with a SAE and they will send you their catalogue.
They no longer offer the Norris adjuster for sale.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Back