If you were to design a scroll saw, what'd be your priority?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinka

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I've stopped shaking, mine would be to silence the *BANG* when a blade breaks. :mrgreen: It's 4 or 5 years since I got my first scroll saw, and I am still not used to it, and as it's been a lot of months since I did any scrolling, it was even more of a shock to the system today.

I watched a video today of someone sealing a 3000psi hydraulic connector with chewing gum. I wonder if we could make blades out of it? :D

I think my priority would be adequate dust extraction,,, and then just slap a Delta sticker on it.

To avoid the *bang* and subsequent clatter of loose unattached metal components why not try earphones piping soft relaxing musak . . . but don't drop off Martin ;-)

I can suffer the 'bang' on my saw, it's just when the table insert leaps out of its socket and does a 'James Brown dancing' impression that really wakes me up.

I'm not sure which bit bangs, Brian. Is it the actual blade that makes the noise, or the top arm on the stop at the back? It'd be a bit difficult to experiment to find out. :)

I don't know if the Axminster is the same, but the stop for the top arm, at the back of the frame, has a rubber or foam ring round it, no doubt to lessen the crash of the arm into the frame when a blade breaks. On mine I removed that and ground a flat so that I could lift the arm higher to make it easier when doing internal cuts. I could replace that and see if it's any better, though it might be 6 months before it happens again. The anticipation of the bang for six months will leave me a nervous wreck. :mrgreen:

bodgerbaz":2768lbc8 said:
To avoid the *bang* and subsequent clatter of loose unattached metal components why not try earphones piping soft relaxing musak . . . but don't drop off Martin ;-)

I do wear earphones most of the time, but it's Sod's Law that I won't have them in when a blade breaks. Soft relaxing music, eh? Deep Purple it is then. :)

naznomad":2768lbc8 said:
I can suffer the 'bang' on my saw, it's just when the table insert leaps out of its socket and does a 'James Brown dancing' impression that really wakes me up.

I bet that can be distracting. It can't happen on mine as I have a sub-table.

I don't like the fiddle of having to fit blades in blade clamps so how about 1 continuous blade, obviously this would need to move in one direction only so maybe a couple of wheels above and below it to turn it, perhaps a way to fit the blade through the table would be a good idea too.

second thoughts I can't see that catching on, seems a waste really. :D

Complete auto blade tension.

I have become desensitised to the scroll saw blades snapping, but still jump out of my skin when a band saw blade breaks. :shock:

Chris.

Ooh, a table that you can raise and lower to utilise another 70% of your blunt blades.

I made a sub-table for my SiP but hated it.

i would have a split table with pivot points at the rear so that the table can be seperated at the front to give better access to the bottom clamp

what about a damper on the rear of the top arm to soften the bang?

Maybe a linear potentiometer style pedal like a sewing machine for the really fine detail work/variable speed?

(sorry if I'm way off, I'm thinking as someone who last used a scroll saw 22 years ago, and did some stuff in acrylic.

Claymore":2tho7zl6 said:
... bet they are flag crackers now lol

Dee Dee isn't.
o-DEE-DEE-WILDE-570.jpg

I have been using fretsaws for 50 years and I have never got used to the shock of a blade breaking, every-time I practically jump out of my skin, of course it's actually caused by the spring at the back which stops the motion of the blade on breakage, without it the broken end of the blade would continue to 'jab' at the work-piece or the operators hands if under the blade end. Ironically it's a safety principle to save ones hands being punctured but in my case it is more likely to cause a heart attack!

After the past two days, a heated table/bed on the saw would have made it much nicer.

That's a good idea, I have a piece of that cushion-floor somewhere.

Latest posts

Back