If you think you know how to build a floor...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
...you might like to have a look at this new video from Mr Chickadee to see a different way of going about it.
He's exploring a Korean method which I have not seen before. More careful joint cutting and planing than most UK carpenters would use.

[youtube]GgVekcX_NYk[/youtube]

Well worth watching for the skills and the quiet achievement of the result.

Thanks for posting, Andy. I’m a fan of Mr Chickadee but I haven’t seen this one yet.

Thanks for sharing Andy.
Really enjoyed that.
Regards as always,
Chris

Thanks for sharing I like his videos

If you know of any other Youtube channels with minimal to no commentary it would make a good contrast to many of the over narrated variety

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I can't wait for part 2 myself, love his channel and the style of his videos.

I've been following Mr Chickadee for a couple of years, so I'd spotted this already. There is lots to criticise with the designs he chooses, but I love the use of old tools and proper (although not always well thought-out) joints. I would point out, though, that he does have mains electricity on site, so the techniques he uses are used through choice rather than necessity.

In other news, the other guy I follow, Leo, who is rebuilding a classic wooden yacht from about 1907, has just amputated the tip of one of his fingers in an accident on the job. He has always taken a bit of a gung-ho approach to safety, so it will be interesting to see if this changes.

MikeG.":34nmgrbz said:
In other news, the other guy I follow, Leo, who is rebuilding a classic wooden yacht from about 1907...

1907. :shock:
Blimey. I thought I was a slow worker.

That looks fascinating. Seem to remember you mentioning this guy before and I didn't click the link. Just subbed the channel. Glad I did this time.
We've been looking at cancelling Virgin subscription. (I keep finding them thrown over the side gate or tucked behind the bins. Bloody UPS)
The Mrs has been (quite rightly) harrassing me to sort it and look at pay per view subscription over the net, I think I can safely say to her I've sorted it and 'goodnews love this stuff is just as enthralling as that Game of Thrones but it's free.' =D>

If you could build a house from scratch on a plot of land, I wonder if these methods would be approved by building regs?

Here? If you mean would magic-ing Mr Chickadee's house onto a site in the UK, then no, for all sorts of reasons. Level access for a start, dowstairs loo, stairs, probably the U values and airtightness, fire-resistance of the structure, smoke detectors and on and on. However, if the question is could you build a house using handtools and traditional materials in compliance with UK building regs, then absolutely no doubt about that all. Of course you can.

Back