Idigbo and Teak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickymint

Established Member
Reaction score
I am after some pre turning advice from the forum.

I'm now the owner of 4 seasoned bowl blanks, 2 Idigbo (16X8cm) & 2 Teak (18X4cm).

Can you offer some general advice on turnability, finishing and stability?

Cheers,

DickyMint.

:?:

Have I broken the Lathes "bit" of the Forum?

(...sound of a dry desert wind blowing tumble weed through a deserted town....)

:?

Dicky Mint

Sorry Dicky, can't help you much as I haven't turned either species.

Indigbo is supposed to be Oak-like in it's characteristics, so should turn OK I would guess.

Teak is very hard on tools, as it contains silica crystals(IIRC), so expect to spend plenty of time at the grinder. I would think that you should get a nice finish on it though. Probably best to go with an oil finish due to the high oil content of teak.

I am sure someone who actually has experience of turning these timbers will be along shortly.

Regards

Gary

i had some teak a while ago and used it in a segmented clock face and finished the completed project with danish oil.
i only had a few small pieces and they were all used in the clock face so i cant give any more information sorry.

Not turned either so far so cannot help much, these two info links may be of guidance. Idigbo Teak
Be aware that the common name Teak can be applied to numerous different species of trees dependant on source so there could be a difference in characteristics between specimens from differing sources.

Back