Identical planes...to tell them apart easily

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hello all
After just recovering from another bout of TAS (tool acquisition syndrome)
I'm faced with another dilemma :roll:
How to tell the difference easily and speedily, between this pair of Stanley 5 1/2's.

I can look closely and tell by a few things...namely the slightly shorter blade, a bit of tarnishing on the lever cap,
a small camber on the old one for jack work, while the newer one is to be used as a smoother,
with barely any camber atall.
These two, are nearly my only used planes now ...apart from a 70's maroon occasional staple and concrete hitter...

I'm hoping some of you folks have figured a solution that I like ...
I just can't think of a method of differentiating one from the other from a few angles that's not hideous.
I'm not going to be making use of an allocated spot in a cabinet, as I like having the two out.

What have ye done?
Obligatory piccy in hope of an elegant solution

Thanks
Tom

Attachments

• SAM_2297.JPG
    SAM_2297.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 1,232
You could always finish the handles differently, try using dyed shellac on one, and de-waxed shellac on the other, that'd be an easy way to do it.

Drop one. You'll never mistake it again. :)

If you are doing these up, you could use a different paint colour, or you could use different finishes to the tote and knobs.

I'm fairly sure they're rosewood handles, and I'm not wanting to alter them.
I'd guess a stain wouldn't be very noticeable on it.
And the fact my sweat is corrosive to a lot of things...
Its physically impossible for me to hang up the Christmas decorations with blu-tac, for instance,
so I guess it would desolve shellac.

The only thing I can think of that doesn't offend ones eyes, is having some noticeable thing on top of the tote like the Record labels.
Maybe I'll just get a coloured sticker to place on it.

Thanks

dab of nail polish on the toe of one. don't forget to pick a colour that flatters your hair colouring etc :)

Get some "folk art" acrylic paint and put a dab on the front and back of the casting. It'll come off like a plastic sticker when you want to take it off.

Thanks guys
I like the sound of both of those options.
I might try giving the screw heads a dab first to see how that works.
Thanks for the tip on the nail polish ...I would not have thought of that, and gives more choices of paint.

I don't know why everyone doesn't own a pair of 5 1/2's
Its so nice to have the right sized plane at the ready, that will plane anything you can throw at it.

Thanks
Tom

I only have one 5 1/2, two 4 1/2's 2 5's a 6 an 8...

Pete

A woody style solution: Drill and insert a contrasting colour wood plug into the top of the rear handle or wherever's most visible.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I don't want to do anything OTT, which is hardly anything
atall by plane talk standards..
I think the simplest things mentioned might be the ticket.
Probably obvious that I don't own a 41/2 nor a 6 that would do the job too,
I just like the feel of the 5 1/2 ....possibly the slightest chance that one is too long...
from experiencing it banging into my delicate benchtop when between shavings...
but a 4 is wayyy too short, so guessing the 4 1/2 might be the same

Tom

Racers":2t86zugd said:
I only have one 5 1/2, two 4 1/2's 2 5's a 6 an 8...

Pete

I hardly have many pl...

Wait, that's not true....let's just go with "I know people with a lot more than me"

If there are any brass screwheads showing, polish one of them up and cover with a dab of durable clear finish. Won't change the colour of the rest, avoids having to drill anything out, easy to return to previous condition if needed, and the clear finish should protect from your sweat.

Adam

I have 2 5 1/2s one Record, the others a Stanley. Blue verses black finish.
I will not be revelling the extent of my collection/ problem. Sufficient to say, I don't have enough fingers to use them all at once.

Bod

Stanley lever cap on one
record lever cap on the other. :)

note : this is genuinely how I differentiate between by 2 no. 5 1/2s, they are both stanley, one was my dads, one was my granddads, I believe they swapped out the cap on one with the cap from the no. 6, as thats a record but has a stanley cap on it, when I asked my dad about it he said it so his dad could tell which was my dads, as his was always sharp. =D>

only thing that's change now they both live in my workshop is that they are both always sharp.

Don't worry about it. Just use them. Once you're thoroughly familiar with both, you'll tell them apart even in the dark; a bit like parents with twin children.

Failing that, sell one and buy a woody instead.

If they are both old enough to have brass screws retaining the knob and tote. Paint the front screw with some of your wifes coloured nail varnish. Easy enough to clean off if you ever feel the need.

Back