Ideas for drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviem

Established Member
Reaction score
Imagine if you will a large coffee table.
Its more or less just a slab of wood sat on some crossed steel metal legs.
The customer wants a couple of drawers fitted to the underneath.

Anybody got any good ideas on design?

Hi,

L shaped cleats fixed to the underneath and rebates in the draw sides, in the inside edge for a floating look.

Pete

Racers":3qpm5zac said:
Hi,

L shaped cleats fixed to the underneath and rebates in the draw sides, in the inside edge for a floating look.

Pete

OOOOOOHHHH I like
Im imagining the cleats to be drawer width - a couple of pocket holes - and screwed to the underside of the table.

Thanks for that

I'd go that route too. It's easy as there is very little fitting to do.
If the table is solid, don't forget to allow for cross-grain movement, so I'd screw the cleat at the front end in a round hole and at the back in in an elongated hole.
S

Racers":rd23pmxu said:
Hi,

Pete
Cunning...I like that Pete. If the 'L' shaped cleats go on the inside of the drawer, then the height of the drawer back will have to be reduced somewhat to give clearance, say 20mm more than normal? - Rob

Personally I'd put the runners along the outside of the top of the drawer and the cleats outside that. If you put them on the inside they could restrict the operation of the drawer (with stuff catching, for example) and I think it would just look better, too.
S

Steve Maskery":wgvvrmq8 said:
Personally I'd put the runners along the outside of the top of the drawer and the cleats outside that. If you put them on the inside they could restrict the operation of the drawer (with stuff catching, for example) and I think it would just look better, too.
S
You'd then tend to loose that 'floaty' effect which the OP wanted. If the runners were on the inside both drawers would just appear to hang with nothing visible to support them - Rob

Hi, chaps

With inside cleats all you would need a is a notch in the back of the draw to clear them, the rest would be full height.

Pete

Latest posts

Back