I want my own web site...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dann

Established Member
Reaction score
Who has there own, what web host is used, do you do it yourself and what cost is involved, as I'm wanting to set one up
Cheap as possible too !
Cheers all..

I guess it depends how complex you want your site to be.
I have 2 simple sites I built myself that give good results and have done it via Yola and they also host the domain names at reasonable cost.

https://www.yola.com/

dann":2knjl06u said:
I'm wanting to set one up
Why ?
Business ? If so, you'll need to do it well or risk looking worse than not having a site at all.
Doing it well will either involve paying someone else to do it for you or making the effort to learn how to write code and learn the subtleties of web authoring.

No need to learn any code if you use a program like Serif webplus,you can normally pick this up for a good price including a domain name plus a years hosting.

clk230":oxvoifyb said:
No need to learn any code
No. Without a decent understanding of what the code does, you'll never get the best performance from a site.
Search engines look beneath the page front at the underlying code and without conforming to best practice you won't get good site ranking or cross browser/platform compatibility.

Rhossydd":31skkfsg said:
clk230":31skkfsg said:
No. Without a decent understanding of what the code does, you'll never get the best performance from a site.
Search engines look beneath the page front at the underlying code and without conforming to best practice you won't get good site ranking or cross browser/platform compatibility.

That's rather a broad statement!

Chas, although your site is impressive, from what I assume is a hobby web-developer, I think what Rhossydd means is that if you want to achieve very fast response, probably good quality, secure online marketplace, (i.e. selling), as well as very high hit-rate on web searches, then these will only be optimised if either;

You know how to get beneath the skin of the easy-code approach, or
You pay someone who does already know this.

Correct me if I am wrong - I have been before!!

gregmcateer":1brbn1hr said:
Correct me if I am wrong - I have been before!!
No you're bang on.

There are a wealth of practical coding issues that aren't handled well by automated software and that's before issues like legal compliance are considered. Then there's aesthetics...

gregmcateer":73s948bu said:
.....I assume is a hobby web-developer,

Just me playing with HTML in the first instance.

I agree on the design needing more in depth coding if security is required for trading etc. but search engines don't always pick up on the obvious or what you might expect.

Rhossydd":3slklr8j said:
clk230":3slklr8j said:

Please don't miss quote me ! (needs to be taken with what i recommended serif program).Gone are the days when you have to use code to build a site.

The Op stated cheap as possible I would imagine he understands to get a very good website he would need to spend alot.

clk230":2zq9uhxa said:
Gone are the days when you have to use code to build a site.
All web site are made up from code, that's an unavoidable fact.
If web site authors fail to take an interest in the code behind a site, they'll fail to optimise the functionality of the site.
The Op stated cheap as possible I would imagine he understands to get a very good website he would need to spend alot.
The quote was "I have a budget of exactly £0!!!"

It's quite possible to build absolutely great sites with no outlay for software, but it does take effort to learn about design and web design(=coding).

The underlying dilemma is where do you draw the line on expenditure;
Spend no money, but take up loads of potentially productive time. You might be able to build a successful and lucrative site or maybe make something so terrible it actually drives customers away.
Spend a little money buying cheap software and try to DIY without wasting quite so much potentially productive time, but still be in the same end position as above.
Pay a professional to do a proper job. Leaving you time to do what you do best.

Turning that around; What do you expect of your customers and their skills at doing what you do ?

The fact is you can use software to create your own website without any knowledge of code ! trying to say otherwise is very misleading .
the site created may not be fully 'optimised' but depending what is needed from the site this may not matter.

Heres a link to Serif http://www.serif.com/webplus/ I think most people would be happy to use it for the diy route I.M.O.

clk230":k6d26bh1 said:
trying to say otherwise is very misleading
Just go back and read what I actually wrote.

Yes, anyone create 'create a web site' with no knowledge of code using web authoring software.
The problem is that without understanding what you're doing with the software (ie you don't understand the underlying code and it's implications) you almost certainly won't write an effective, legal and compliant site.

Suggesting that software can just make a good site without knowledgeable input IS misleading.

Weather or not the op would benefit from professional help with a site is irrelevant as he has made it clear that this won't happen but without knowing what he wants to achieve it is not possible for anyone to offer any further advice.

Back