Quantcast

I think I have made a terrifying mistake...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Joined
14 Mar 2013
Messages
2,852
Reaction score
261
Location
Edinburgh
As I am not allowed passed the front door during all this, and this episode of life on earth is to last until at least September before they will let me go out, I decided to keep myself busy inside. After several attempts to do woody stuff inside the house and garden the craziest being it took me 8 hours to 1/4 an old door and turn it into a planter for tatties, carrots and onions just using screws. Normally a 20 min job including a 10 min Tea-break. I was also very very knackered at the end of it. So what to do instead?

Now this is where I think I have made a really bad mistake, I bought myself Farming Simulator 19 Platinum Edition (as it has all the Claas stuff - so cool). Brilliant you may say but here is the rub, I have been playing the game in real time and for the last 2 days, I have actually put in 10 hour shifts at the wheel. I even found myself putting off doing dinner as I wanted to get the field finished before the rain came on. :shock:

So should I stop playing this before I turn into Ned Grundy or just let nature take its course? Also what games/online activities have you discovered since the lock-down started do you feel are taking up most of your time almost to the obsession. By the way I really would recommend FS19 if you cant get into the countryside just now, especially some of the british based maps like Greenwich. Very relaxing to play.
 

Chris152

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2017
Messages
2,155
Reaction score
11
Location
Cardiff
That made me laugh, Droogs. 10-hour stints, interrupting mealtimes, sounds like my teenage boy! I'd say so long as you sit properly (back/ neck) get up and walk about a bit and do some exercise, good for you, enjoy it. Better than most of the nonsense on tv.
I've started keeping an old blog I'd stopped doing a couple of years ago, but stuck in the house I struggle to find stuff that interests me to photograph and write about. The good news was that I found a place that delivers timber so I got a load dropped off here Monday, to build a small deck and a pergola; the bad news is it's been raining since so we're not doing that.
 

Trainee neophyte

[Insert witty and amusing title here]
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
2,145
Reaction score
59
Location
Greece
My other half had an addiction to some farming sim game a while ago, and I spent lots of time amusing myself by pointing out that if she wanted to feed chickens and pigs, we had lots of real ones just outside the front door. Apparently thats's not the point.

What she does now is play scrabble (actually Words With Friends) against various people she knows - she always has half a dozen games on the go. If you can do scrabble, and know people who also need some form of contact and entertainment, it might be marginally less solitary than ten hours of Fortnight or Halo, although you can do both of those as a team I believe. I don't do games at all, so it's third hand info, I'm afraid.
 

thetyreman

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2016
Messages
2,715
Reaction score
53
Location
North West
this reminds me of playing the witcher 3, it's like crack cocaine, I decided to give up gaming permanently in 2015 as a result and it might sound extreme to some but it's helped me out a lot :D
 

RogerS

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2004
Messages
17,288
Reaction score
36
Location
In the eternally wet North
You should try programming in machine-code for engaging the brain.

The scene...sitting in front of the tele with the dinner on a tray.....

SWMBO : "You're very quiet tonight?"

Me..thinks..."why isn't that interrupt request responding ? Is it because I've got the coding wrong ? But where?"

SWMBO: "Are you listening to me ?"

me...thinks .."Ah yes. Maybe it's because ......."

Me.."Sorry, love, just need to pop upstairs to the loo"

Dive upstairs...fiddle about with the code...damn..doesn't work..back downstairs

SWMBO: "That took you a long time "

me...Grrrrrr!
 

craigsalisbury

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
362
Reaction score
6
Location
Wiltshire
Chris152":23gak214 said:
That made me laugh, Droogs. 10-hour stints, interrupting mealtimes, sounds like my teenage boy! I'd say so long as you sit properly (back/ neck) get up and walk about a bit and do some exercise, good for you, enjoy it. Better than most of the nonsense on tv.
I've started keeping an old blog I'd stopped doing a couple of years ago, but stuck in the house I struggle to find stuff that interests me to photograph and write about. The good news was that I found a place that delivers timber so I got a load dropped off here Monday, to build a small deck and a pergola; the bad news is it's been raining since so we're not doing that.
looking forward to a deck build. I have one coming up soon and have no clue where to start. if you could video that whole build and put it on yootoob, that would be super, thanks :D :D
 

craigsalisbury

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
362
Reaction score
6
Location
Wiltshire
Droogs":2y6qdnqw said:
As I am not allowed passed the front door during all this, and this episode of life on earth is to last until at least September before they will let me go out, I decided to keep myself busy inside. After several attempts to do woody stuff inside the house and garden the craziest being it took me 8 hours to 1/4 an old door and turn it into a planter for tatties, carrots and onions just using screws. Normally a 20 min job including a 10 min Tea-break. I was also very very knackered at the end of it. So what to do instead?

Now this is where I think I have made a really bad mistake, I bought myself Farming Simulator 19 Platinum Edition (as it has all the Claas stuff - so cool). Brilliant you may say but here is the rub, I have been playing the game in real time and for the last 2 days, I have actually put in 10 hour shifts at the wheel. I even found myself putting off doing dinner as I wanted to get the field finished before the rain came on. :shock:

So should I stop playing this before I turn into Ned Grundy or just let nature take its course? Also what games/online activities have you discovered since the lock-down started do you feel are taking up most of your time almost to the obsession. By the way I really would recommend FS19 if you cant get into the countryside just now, especially some of the british based maps like Greenwich. Very relaxing to play.
Apparently the PSPlus games for May include Farming simulator! Im not sure how it will be on a playstation, but im going to damn well find out :) been looking at it for a while now.
 

Jon C

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
Manchester
I don’t think I managed a 10 hour gaming session unbroken, that’s impressive.
Many years ago, I used to play wow a lot and sunk quite a lot of hours into that. I still play console games sometimes. Played rdr2 for 3 hours the other day, 2 hours of which was playing poker and dominos. (hammer)

I don’t even know how to play poker also :|
 

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Joined
11 Jun 2013
Messages
2,705
Reaction score
5
Location
Bristol
Jon C":32b9xlo7 said:
I don’t think I managed a 10 hour gaming session unbroken, that’s impressive.
Many years ago, I used to play wow a lot and sunk quite a lot of hours into that. I still play console games sometimes. Played rdr2 for 3 hours the other day, 2 hours of which was playing poker and dominos. (hammer)

I don’t even know how to play poker also :|
I've heard Red Dead Redemption 2 is very immersive - I think my longest playsession was about 26 hours, playing Frontier: Elite 2 many years ago over a weekend when "just one more trip" was the mantra, trading large quantities of goods in my Panther Clipper from one (space) system to another for obscene profits. I'm not quite as bad now, but 8-10 hour sessions still happen on occasion in games like Space engineers or one of my other build and survive type games.

I remember Final Fantasy 8 (I think) having a card based mini game inside it and playing that quite a lot instead of the main game itself which I don't think I ever actually finished....
 

Doug B

Shy Tot
Joined
6 Aug 2008
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
80
Location
@dougsworkshop
I’m not into gaming as such but the lockdown has got me doing a few new things including playing scrabble on the iPad, it surprising what words come to the front when staring at a row of letters, words I’ve heard but never used :-k
 

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
3,446
Reaction score
269
Location
Pembrokeshire
I don't play anywhere near as much as I did when I was younger which was sort of borderline addiction back then with many a very late night :lol:

These days I barely play for maybe an hour or two a week if that. One reason being that I just struggle to get into them anymore, especially games where you have to devote a lot of time in a single sitting. That's why I kind of enjoy playing Mordau from time to time because I can just play a match or two, break some skulls to vent at the end of a working day and be done with it without needing to be sat there for hours.

I did pick up Red Dead Redemption 2 when it came out on the PC, I spent over a month on it in with what spare time I had left in the day to dedicate to it. Excellent game, I played the original ten years ago now so it was nice to be back in that world again.
 

Jon C

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
Manchester
Rafezetter, I’ve only put about 7 hours into rdr2 at the moment but it is very immersive.
I recently took advantage of the £1 for a month offer of Xbox live ultimate as there was a few games I wanted to try.
Mainly to revisit gta 5 (one of only 2 games that I queued up for on a midnight launch) and the Outer Worlds as I adored Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Since they put rdr2 on ultimate, I haven’t touched those games.

I still recall when the first wow expansion was released. I was in a guild and we decided to do a heroic dungeon for the first time on a Sunday afternoon. Everyone was hungover, 3 hours of failing, numerous augments and it was still fun (hammer)

26 hours!! Impressive or mad...not sure :D
 

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Joined
11 Jun 2013
Messages
2,705
Reaction score
5
Location
Bristol
Jon C":juz0gd0t said:
Rafezetter, I’ve only put about 7 hours into rdr2 at the moment but it is very immersive.
I recently took advantage of the £1 for a month offer of Xbox live ultimate as there was a few games I wanted to try.
Mainly to revisit gta 5 (one of only 2 games that I queued up for on a midnight launch) and the Outer Worlds as I adored Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Since they put rdr2 on ultimate, I haven’t touched those games.

I still recall when the first wow expansion was released. I was in a guild and we decided to do a heroic dungeon for the first time on a Sunday afternoon. Everyone was hungover, 3 hours of failing, numerous augments and it was still fun (hammer)

26 hours!! Impressive or mad...not sure :D

Obsessed is the word you are looking for :) I'm not quite so bad now.

WoW raiding (proper 40 man, none of that 25 man nonsense) was arguably some of the best gaming of my life (7 years in wow from launch to Cataclysm) - the evening our motley crew beat Ragnarok for the first time in Molten Core after something like 2 months of unsuccessfully wading through it after each reset, was something I'll never forget, people were genuinly weeping and shouting. We were down to our last man with everyone yelling "come on, come on" as raggy health bar was almost zero and I think it was a hunter and his pet were also almost dead, popping potions as soon as the timer was ready. A tale to tell as epic as any written in our literature, apart from "The Ilyad".

Lots of people say gaming is solitary, but that's so far from the truth today, there are people in the world who's lives have been both enriched and SAVED by gaming and the interactions and friendships created, with people they know they will never meet in person, but who are still deeply valued friends. There are lots of articles on the internet of socially awkward, housebound and disabled people who have led full lives (for those who have died prematurely to illnesses) vicariously through thier avatars. Some of them have even had these guildmates come to thier funerals from across the world to pay tribute to someone they never met in real life.

To me the internet gaming scene is the same as going to your local pub, there's the same interactions (and much more beleive me) drinking if you want to, you don't have to worry about drinking and driving, and there's no dress code; if you want to socialise on discord or vent, while naked on a stifling hot summers eve, you can without being thrown out :)

So any parents worried about thier kids spending too much time on thier computers alone in their room - chances are they are not alone, and could well be having more fun than you are! Getting involved will be something of an eye opener - you could well be surprised at who you might meet. I've got several friends at NASA, (they are geeks after all), more in the worlds military than I can shake a stick at, millioniares and paupers alike, a record producer in LA with a gold plate AK47 - "because he can" (yes I've seen proof), deep pit miners in Australia and commercial pilots. I've also got open invitations to about 50% of the worlds countries to come visit.

I've also witnessed death - in real time - The attack on the American Consulate in Benghazi in 2012, We were playing Eve Online and one of our own started talking about hearing noises outside, then more noise then.. nothing. 2 days later it was announced that "Vile Rat" had died as one of the victims in that attack.

There's a wiki page on him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Smith_(diplomat)

For many people there's more life INSIDE the internet than out.

Sorry that got a bit dark, but gaming is much maliagned and misunderstood by many and it's a bit of a thing of mine to re-educate the misinformed.
 

Jon C

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
Manchester
Enjoyed reading your message Rafezetter, sorry about your friend :(

I didn’t start playing wow until after Burning Crusade and raiding even later so it was 10/25 man only for me. For 40 man, it was pvp only. The first time I entered Alterac Valley, going through the gate, down the hill and seeing 30 odd people all around you....still makes me smile.
I joined a guild of mainly Norwegians (who spoke excellent English) and a few South Africans and Dutch people. Excellent people.

Wow really got a bad rep for being addictive. Maybe, it was true. I don’t have an addictive personality, I tend to get bored/burned out if I do things to excess (Cycling is my only addiction).
I agree gaming can be a big help to people. I suffer from ocd (at times proper debilitating ocd that I’ve suffered from since I was 12) and wow really helped me break the cycle of some annoying rituals.

I stopped just after Legion, still miss it a bit but that time sink really doesn’t appeal to me now.
 

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Joined
19 Aug 2015
Messages
3,738
Reaction score
100
Location
Herts.
:-"
Psssst.

:-$
Shhhhh.


\:D/
We should start a UKW clan.

8)

Just a bunch of disparate varied age wood guys with a common interest in PTFO MOFO. Oooooo k. Staying calm. I do best in small fast reaction violent fps maps. I promise not to try to be in charge. :oops: I also love many other game types. Tell tale games, Alice, this war of mine. Witcher etc Loads.
I promised myself I'd left gaming behind but then my lad grew up a bit. So I smashed him on fifa and Mario while he was telling me how to press the buttons. By the time he realised I'd been playing for a while he learnt a valuable life lesson in expectations.
=D>
My old pc died a good while ago. I just bought a refurb on amazon for £358. Calculated gamble. But if it runs good it has a proper gaming spec.
Shhhhh.
:D
I'm definitely over it.
 

Jon C

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2020
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Location
Manchester
So I smashed him on fifa and Mario while he was telling me how to press the buttons. By the time he realised I'd been playing for a while he learnt a valuable life lesson in expectations.

I'm definitely over it.
Polar opposite for me. My 12 year old nephew was kind and patient enough to carry me through Destiny 2 competitive pvp so I could get the Recluse SMG. Before we started, I half jokingly said I wasn’t great at FPS pvp...oh boy...I was awful.
I’m not bad now but he absolutely runs circles round me and everyone else. Usually topping the final results.
I still pan him at any driving game though =D>


As for being over it... we believe you :D
 

Trainee neophyte

[Insert witty and amusing title here]
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
2,145
Reaction score
59
Location
Greece
Team UK workshop!

In my head, I see this:







I should probably get out more.
 

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Joined
14 Mar 2013
Messages
2,852
Reaction score
261
Location
Edinburgh
:-s err ... dunno...


depends... :-k :-k


How much is...









Ghost Carpenter Countertop Maker Simulator Cellulose Edition anyway?

And does it come with the Sawstop or Veritas DLC? :norm:




BTW TN lose the Yfronts and that's me
 
Top