I stink of Southern Yellow Pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
George Sykes delivered my new workbench today. (Well the raw material at least!)

I think they must have sent me some kind of hardwood instead of SYP.

Each plank weighs a ton, and the resin makes it the Devil to cut with a handsaw. (Had to reduce it to length to get it into the shop.)

Somehow I managed to get four 16 footers onto trestles and now I have splinters where I didn't know splinters could get; I stink of resin and my old bones ache everywhere:

But boy am I am happy! :lol:

John :wink:

It's nice stuff.

My dad made me a drawing board for my O-level Technical Drawing out of SYP. It stayed flat for ever. I wonder where it is now? I haven't got it.

You should get a good bench out of it.
CHeers
Steve

Benchwayze":5eg6i8l3 said:
George Sykes delivered my new workbench today. (Well the raw material at least!)

Each plank weighs a ton, and the resin makes it the Devil to cut with a handsaw. (Had to reduce it to length to get it into the shop.)

Somehow I managed to get four 16 footers onto trestles and now I have splinters where I didn't know splinters could get; I stink of resin and my old bones ache everywhere:

Hot bath for you tonight John and then a tot of something :wink: :lol: - Rob

Benchwayze":18nq7giw said:

There is hell of a lot worse smells :lol:

Do as Rob suggests and have a nice hot bath and a tot or two of single malt.

Cheers

Mike

Welcome to my world John - glad you got started, I can agree with you about the weight, my boards also weigh a ton - which is a good for the bench, but not so hot when you have to manhandle it about.

Strangely, my boards weren't that 'resiny', I thought they would be far more sticky than they were. I did notice a fair bit on the outside edges, so i'm wondering whether my boards were left to dry for a time and the resin bled out and/or crystallised in the kiln.

Were yours air or kiln dried?

I had my soak... Outside and in, (Navy Rum on the inside.. Aye sir!) and feeling relaxed now, to say the least!

I was going to do pics, but hey come on. It’s a pile of wood in stick ATM! Maybe one or two for the record, for myself!

I’m leaving it in the shop for a few days to see how it settles. Then I’ll be getting a new rip blade for the Coronet, ready to break the planks down into battens for subsequent gluing together.

I can’t go longer than 6 foot as there just isn’t enough space in my shop, but that was the length of my old bench and I got by with her! I am aiming for a 3.5 inch thick top, so that’s another inch more to the better.

Byron, the pine is kiln dried and it's as clear as it comes. I counted just three small knots. They are going to be in the legs. I will be having a sliding dead-man and I am leaning towards swan neck holdfasts of some sort. I’m going to put my old Paramo vice back into service, as I don’t think I could get on with a leg vice. I am still undecided about the form of tail vice to use. I can’t do a sketch-up, so just think 'Chris Schwarz’s French Bench with flush front, and plenty of mass'. Which is what a bench should be of course. It ain’t gonna rack!

While those planks are settling, I will be getting on with upgrading a patio table in Cedarwood. I made it last year for a mate, and now he wants 4"x4" legs as opposed to 4"x2"! So some pis of that will probably appear!

Now it's feet up and watch a woodwork DVD of some sort.

Steve, I almost forgot. I need a drawing board myself! I think though I'll use some poplar I have. Nice and soft for those thumb-tacks!

Cheers folks.

John :)

mmmm I just got some last week to do a worktop for my partners mother's cottage. 12x 2 and a bit by 16 footers. It was from america though. It was a lot clearer and much more stable then local stuff i've gotten before. I like the smell of the shavings. Also use them for he bunnies cage.

Can't wait to see your bench keep us posted.

Back