Southern Yellow Pine Anyone??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
I am going to be ordering some Southern yellow pine for my workbench by the end of next week.

I am paying £144 inc VAT shipping on it which isn't the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive.

The guy says, within reason, I can order a lot more timber and the delivery will be the same.

Size restriction is on the length. It can be up to 2.4 meters (double pallet limit) in length with sizes varying from 1.75" thick and widths varying between 4", 8" and 12" (before planing)

These will be cut down from 3.66m length. Mine are 1.75" X 12" Planed and Squared edges, coming to 38mmx295mm after planing, costing £43.14 Inc VAT per plank before cutting service (cut in halves to 1.825 m)

If anyone is after a project that requires some decent quality lumber and quantity, please get in touch with me and we could perhaps share the shipping expense.

In case anyone wants to take a look, go to Dimensional Timber | Southern Yellow Pine

It’s generous of you to offer that for people. I Just wondered if you had checked out the price of American ash? You’re paying £24.65 per cubic foot including VAT which from memory is about what I pay for American Ash, it’s rough sawn square edge but it is a hardwood, (and also one of my favourite woods to work with.) Ian

It’s generous of you to offer that for people. I Just wondered if you had checked out the price of American ash? You’re paying £24.65 per cubic foot including VAT which from memory is about what I pay for American Ash, it’s rough sawn square edge but it is a hardwood, (and also one of my favourite woods to work with.) Ian
Good thought there, Ian.

However, as much as I would love to plane all that wood by hand (No P/T), I cannot justify the extra time it takes (as I'm on borrowed time in the workshop at the moment, until the end of the year)

Out of curiosity, where are you getting it from?

Sommerscales in North Lincolnshire, sorry I hadn’t realised that you don’t have a pt, no I wouldn’t enjoy planing all that by hand either, it’s quite a hard wood. Ian

Sommerscales in North Lincolnshire, sorry I hadn’t realised that you don’t have a pt, no I wouldn’t enjoy planing all that by hand either, it’s quite a hard wood. Ian

It does plane so nicely by hand though!

Mind you, making my workbench mostly by hand using SYP made me buy a much bigger B/T straight after!

Back