I SHOULD have bid!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been watching a sawbench on e-bay for the past few days. Scheppach 2500ci complete with sliding table and extension table. It started at £500 and when I left for work today it had reached £720. I was thinking of putting a bid of £750ish on but thought no it will go for well over £1000 so left it. On returning home tonight I checked to see what it finally went for and wish I hadn't final bid figure was £740! I am just going to test my sharp chisels on my wrists. :cry:

mailee - don't! the blood will stain the steel terribly and you don't want to compromise the edge, skin can be quite abrasive!!

Mailee

Don't slit your wrists just yet, the winner of the item may well of had a bid of £1000.00 its the second highest bidder tht sets the price. Thats how I look at it anyway and it makes me feel better.

Cheers
Saint

On the few occasions I have used ebay, I have come to realise that it si best to simply stick in a reasonable maximum bid early on and forget all about it.
If you get an email saying you've won it's a nice feeling. if not, then there's no stress etc. and no temptation to spend more than you intended (a typical ebay error)

My recent half-price LN worked that way. I bid with around 5-6 days to go and no one else bid at all :)

if you had bid £750 there is a good chance it would have been sold for 751.50

ebay is evil

Yeah, got to agree Wizer. You could guarantee someone would have taken it over my maximum by a few pence. :( I thought about the chisels and decided SWIMBO would have to clean them up before selling them. Oh well, still on the lookout for a good table saw. :wink:

Or maybe you WOULD have got it for £741-00. You'll never know really. :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

I have to agree with Tony, set a price YOUR willing to pay eg. £750.00 and forget about it, sometimes you win , and sometimes you dont.....you start chasing items, and you WILL pay over the odds for things...

"Item relisted due to timewaster" ..more like his mates were artifically bumping the price up..and what would they care of Negative feedback

Wizer is spot on. Have you ever wondered what the 'e' in ebay stood for? It aint electronic! it's Evil!!!

Oh, and its run by satans minions.

Tony":3oa0cef5 said:
On the few occasions I have used ebay, I have come to realise that it si best to simply stick in a reasonable maximum bid early on and forget all about it.
If you get an email saying you've won it's a nice feeling. if not, then there's no stress etc. and no temptation to spend more than you intended (a typical ebay error)

My recent half-price LN worked that way. I bid with around 5-6 days to go and no one else bid at all :)

I've used ebay a fair bit and if possible I always place my bid with seconds to go. That way other bidders, who see their max beaten, don't have time to think about it and up their bid (and you only have to look at few bidding histories to see this happening). It also stops me increasing my bid if I see it beaten by a few quid!

Cheers

Grahame

First post here - and it's about Ebay! Geesh!

If you use a tool like Bidnapper it places your bid automatically in the last few seconds, and removes you from the competition element of people upping their bids to beat you. You don't have to appear on the bidders list either, so for instance, a single bidder may think they have got it as no competition has shown up, and will leave his bid low.

You have to bear in mind that an earlier bidder may have placed a much higher bid than the price shown, and if their earlier bid is higher than your 'snipe' you still loose!

But it has worked for me on many occasions (hundreds!).

Dave

Welcome to UKW Dave :D

I always try and bid in the last 30 seconds/minute on ebay and I've noticed quite a lot of other people do too. It's worked well for me in the past...

DaveS":3psh6vzq said:
First post here - and it's about Ebay! Geesh!Dave

Dave, welcome to the forum. Just wondering if there's any chance you could choose a different username, as I think this could get a bit confusing, to say the least! :lol:

Dave

I got a 2 yr old SIP CI tablesaw (01332) from ebay. I submitted £250 as my highest bid but ebay just bid automatically for me until I either won or reached my max bid. I won it at £163.

By the way the saw is fantastic, I would still be very very happy if I'd paid £500 new. If I were you though and had the room I'd get the Axminster like Tony's.

Good luck.

Well I would normally wait to bid until the last few seconds but unfortunitely when the bid ended I was at work on the late shift. :cry: Dave just where can I get my hands on that bidnapper thing? it sounds like just the tool. :wink:

mailee":1o89l504 said:
Well I would normally wait to bid until the last few seconds but unfortunitely when the bid ended I was at work on the late shift. :cry: Dave just where can I get my hands on that bidnapper thing? it sounds like just the tool. :wink:

its on www.bidnapper.com. you get a free period and then can buy a number of options - i settled for the 'occasional' user option and bought 10 snipes that have indefinite life. Also they only count if you win.....so for example if you see a seller that keeps re listing the same type of item you can make bidnapper bids conditional on not having won a previous one. There is also a toolbar option that links direct from ebay.

When I sell I make bidders aware of snipers - that way i get a bid placed early in the process....'
Please remember that many people use 'sniping' tools and bid in the last seconds of an auction. If you are bidding 'normally' please set your maximum bid and let ebay bid for you -if you and a sniper have the same upper bid you will win.

Binapper is excellent - takes out the emotion and if you change your mind you can cancel it -if you bid in ebay you cannot.

Dave, welcome to the forum. Just wondering if there's any chance you could choose a different username, as I think this could get a bit confusing, to say the least! :lol:

Dave

Noted!

Always been a problem, there were five Davids in our class of 15 boys at school - popular or common, you decide! :p

DaveS

As Mods we can change someones username for them, I have done one ages ago.

If you do want it done sent a PM with the details and I can sort it out for you (give me your email address as well so I can mail you when its done).

Just on the evils of ebay I was recently ecstatic having won a Stanley 289 (skew rebate plane for the uninitiated) for 30 odd quid, which was a real bargain. Lo and behold the seller thought so too and "dropped and broke it" while packing. I gave him a neutral rating and he was outraged.

Second thing is never send anything without needing it to be signed for. They just say it hasn't been received and Paypal duly debit you with the amount.

Latest posts

Back