I own a no.7

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Very nice plane, looks early from the square shouldered blade and cap iron.

Pete

Just so you all know since sharpened it then checked its flatness with a cabinets makers straight edge and its very flat and works beautiful

Nice old Record #07 you have there. :wink: I've tried other maker's and models, but still keep going back to my trusty old Record. :p

GazPal":1wi73x6l said:
Nice old Record #07 you have there. :wink: I've tried other maker's and models, but still keep going back to my trusty old Record. :p
The cabinet im sorting out an appreticship with wished he hadnt swapped his record 7 for a ribbed stanley 7

mtt.tr":yi5rz6wn said:
GazPal":yi5rz6wn said:
The cabinet im sorting out an appreticeship with wished he hadnt swapped his record 7 for a ribbed stanley 7

To be perfectly honest, I'd feel the same way. Although corrugated soles are pretty good to have around if working a lot of Teak, or other resinous timbers, I might consider adding a corrugated plane to my line up, but wouldn't replace a smooth soled plane with one.

Here's hoping your apprenticeship goes well. :wink: One of the best - if not THE BEST - people to ask advice on which tools to add to your kit is typically the person you're apprenticed under. Buy what he advises and fill whichever gaps need filling as you progress. My favourite brand of planes has always been Record, but most I have were made during the period from the early/mid 30's - mid 50's.

According to www.recordhandplanes.com your #07 pre-dates 1963, when they first introduced reinforcing ribs to the main body of their larger planes. If you're interested, Record planes can be dated a tad more precisely if you remove the frog to check the underlying mount/frog bed design, check details on the frog itself and determine whether or not the handles are rosewood or stained beech.

You'll find much more information at the link I provided above and at www.record-planes.com :wink:

Sorry by ribbed i meant renfrocing ribs as he finds it tiresome after long periods. On the apprenticeship im waiting on the college rang them again and they where not to sure who i was. :twisted: But they should be getting me a start date soon, well two days they reckon. Will i have to ring again, i feels so. :lol:

mtt.tr":5odhgujn said:
Sorry by ribbed i meant renfrocing ribs as he finds it tiresome after long periods. On the apprenticeship im waiting on the college rang them again and they where not to sure who i was. :twisted: But they should be getting me a start date soon, well two days they reckon. Will i have to ring again, i feels so. :lol:

I'd not worry over whether or not a plane has additional ribbing for reinforcement, as they do strengthen them. Additonal heft to a plane isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's a case of personal preference at the end of the day.

Politely pester the living daylights out of your college admin/careers officer (Ask for the person's name so you know who to ask for each time you call) and call them twice daily if need be, in the hope your name is the first that springs to mind. It's your future career they're dealing with and not something they should take lightly or delay through their inactivity.

Back