I need a special piece of equipment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petercharlesfagg

Established Member
Reaction score
Friends,

No doubt some of know precisely what I am describing?

About 20 years ago I purchased from the then "Craft Supplies" in the UK before they became "Turners Retreat" a Layout Template.

The template is made of some flexible plastic of some 14 inches diameter and divided up into the various diameters of blank sizes.

It made things simple for choosing and marking out circles on planks, crotch wood etc.

My one is starting to disintegrate through usage, strange that, and I would like to replace it!

Anyone any ideas as to if there is anyone stocking such things any more?

Regards, Peter.

Is it one of these Peter

DSCF3199_zps8bd8a25c.jpg

Dalboy":4z3vrx50 said:
Is it one of these Peter

DSCF3199_zps8bd8a25c.jpg

No that one is for segmented items, mine is 15 inches in diameter with all the sizes down to 6 inches in 1/2 inch rings with a hole for a pencil to mark the timber.

I should have taken a picture but forgot!!

Regards, Peter.

The one I have shown in the picture I use for marking circles on wood by putting a nail in the centre hole and using the holes which radiate from the centre (shown in the picture running from centre down to the bottom left of the disc)

Peter,

Would this do the job? Al rule screwed at the centre of the circle, holes drilled at the required radii for a pencil, rotate and draw the circle.

Brian
3060 resize.jpg

Attachments

• 3060 resize.jpg
    3060 resize.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,054
gregmcateer":39q12ko0 said:
bellringer":39q12ko0 said:
Make one i would

That's what I think I'll be doing;

Poss this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220962749...49&var=520070072938&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Buy it square, cross to find centre, then spin it up and mark diameters in increments of your choosing (Then make it a circle if a square offends in the workshop :) )

- I would think that should work fine - Anyone see a reason why not?

Greg

Greg that looks just the right stuff!

Instead of getting a piece of the correct plastic I think I shall make my own!

Great stuff, many thanks!

Regards, Peter.

Dalboy":3e59wo17 said:
The one I have shown in the picture I use for marking circles on wood by putting a nail in the centre hole and using the holes which radiate from the centre (shown in the picture running from centre down to the bottom left of the disc)

Thankyou, yes I understand your reasoning and I have one of these myself that I shall be selling at Woodworks in Daventry.

I really need to go out to 15 inches diameter because so many of my platters are at that size and bigger.

Regards, Peter.

How about:
Circle jig.jpg

All you need is bit of scrap acrylic sheet, a pair of dividers and steel rule to scratch out the circles and some cross hairs, then holes for a pencil. It took less than ten minutes.
Make a big one for large blanks and a smaller one that's easier to use for less grand work.

It doesn't have to be premium quality plastic either, just anything you can see the blank through. Mine was made from a broken plastic shed window, but even if you had to buy a bit it would be cheaper than paying mail order tool prices. The other advantage is you can add things like standard chuck jaw diameters etc.

Attachments

• Circle jig.jpg
    Circle jig.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 1,035
Rhossydd":3johqdg0 said:
How about:
All you need is bit of scrap acrylic sheet, a pair of dividers and steel rule to scratch out the circles and some cross hairs, then holes for a pencil. It took less than ten minutes.
Make a big one for large blanks and a smaller one that's easier to use for less grand work.

It doesn't have to be premium quality plastic either, just anything you can see the blank through. Mine was made from a broken plastic shed window, but even if you had to buy a bit it would be cheaper than paying mail order tool prices. The other advantage is you can add things like standard chuck jaw diameters etc.

Thankyou, having read all the suggestions I think the only way to go is to make my own since shipping is just too expensive!

The one you have made looks idea!

Regards, Peter.

Hi

Another vote for making it out of acrylic.

The ruler compass idea will produce a circle however the benefit of the acrylic ones with concentric circles is that it can be offered up to the blank and easily 'centralised' using the concentric circles - not something that is so easily achieved using a ruler.

Regards Mick

petercharlesfagg":pisgnz3c said:
gregmcateer":pisgnz3c said:
bellringer":pisgnz3c said:
Make one i would
That's what I think I'll be doing;
Buy it square, cross to find centre, then spin it up and mark diameters in increments of your choosing (Then make it a circle if a square offends in the workshop :) )
Greg
Greg that looks just the right stuff!
Instead of getting a piece of the correct plastic I think I shall make my own!
Peter.

I would suggest looking at 'Direct Plastics'
http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/AcrylicSheet/3mm/
They do thicknesses from 2.5mm to 12mm in Acrylic at about half the price quoted in the Amazon link.

JG

Does this show this what you want
100_1948.JPG
100_1949.JPG
I also have two home made ones
100_1953.JPG
100_1954.JPG
hope this helps yopu fined what you want

Attachments

• 100_1948.JPG
    100_1948.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 607