I met this man last night!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)

Clues:

1. He's eighty-six this year.

2. Whilst scuba diving in the Pacific, he hitched a ride on the dorsal fin of a whale shark, on his 80th birthday.

3. His dad knew the Wright Brothers, Amelia Earhardt, and Robert Goddard.

4. He has a PhD in Astronautics from MIT, thesis on "Line-of-sight guidance techniques for manned orbital rendezvous".

5. He taught combat techniques to US military pilots.

6. He claims (justifiably) to have invented the "selfie" some 50 years ago, whilst on a long-distance business trip.*

7. Chuck Norris almost certainly wishes he had been this man instead.

Scroll down for more clues, and the answer (if you haven't guessed already).

8. He flew combat missions in Korea, with success, and nuclear-armed patrols in West Germany.

9. He is one of the furthest-travelled people on the planet (in terms of distance).

and there's more...

10. He accidentally fell off the lunar lander.

11. He was the first person to urinate on the moon (elementary school children love that one, apparently!).

You must have it by now!
http://buzzaldrin.com/

We queued for two and a half hours to get in. We weren't disappointed - far from it. And he was good enough to sign books for anyone there who wanted him to (there were 1,700 people at the event, and he promised to sign for every one of them if they wanted - we were relatively early in the queue, but I believe he meant it).

He wants America to commit to going to Mars. I so hope he gets to hear that from a US President, in person.

I was nine years old again, watching grainy black and white pictures on our "Luxury Nineteen-Inch" Pye TV.
Last night, quite unexpectedly, I had a quite unrealistic boyhood dream come true -- I met the man!

Wow.

*That would be this image (below). The "business trip" was Gemini XII:

A couple of photos for Eric and anyone who may have missed it:

Apollo 11 - Neil Armstrong.jpg

Apollo 11 - First Step time.jpg

Attachments

• Apollo 11 - Neil Armstrong.jpg
    Apollo 11 - Neil Armstrong.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 836
  • Apollo 11 - First Step time.jpg
    Apollo 11 - First Step time.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 833