I made a rabbet plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whybob71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I finally made my first rabbet plane! The body is brass (8 mm sole, 5 mm sides), the infill is bubinga. The total lenght of the plane is 200 mm, the iron is 25 mm width and the bed angle is 52°
the design is inspired to the HNT rabbet plane; I just have added a depth adjustment screw (which is not so usfull, I have to admit) and a brass lever cap (very effective!).

I hope you like it.

user_20_rabbet_003.jpg

user_20_rabbet_004.jpg

user_20_rabbet_005.jpg

user_20_rabbet_006.jpg

user_20_rabbet_007.jpg

user_20_rabbet_009.jpg

user_20_rabbet_010.jpg

user_20_rabbet_012.jpg

Very nice, Bob. Interested to hear you didn't find the adjuster too useful - they are a lot of work to make. And a simple tap with a hammer isn't too difficult to learn to adjust them. :lol:
Best regards
Philly :D

A beautiful piece of work, well done.

Watch out Philly, you have a rival :wink:

Great plane - what did you use for the brass (Sole) bit and where did you get it from please?

Would love to have a go at making one.

Rod

I see a pin in the last photo. I'm afraid I'm going to have to hold off any complementations until I see shavings.

Hi, Whybob71

Thats really nice, I like the moulding on the Bubinga thats a nice touch better than the usual chamfer. I would like to see shavings as well.

Pete

I'm glade you like it! I will post some shaving ASAP.

The lever cap is levering against a small brass round pin (9 mm diam.), which is barely visible in the last picture. This solution has a nice look (you don't see the usual pin head on the flank of the plane) but it can stress the sole of the plane by flexing it when you put the lever cap. Actually I noticed a really small deflection of the plane sole and I flattened the sole with the lever cap on it.

Very nice made plane indeed.

Rod, a pretty good change something in brass is made out of Ms58. That alloy is very easy to work with and has the largest number of choice in rod, tube, hex, bar, strip and profile sizes.

mahking51":qxpkrxsc said:
Superb plane!
How are the sides joined to the sole section please?
Martin

sorry for the late :oops: :oops: :oops:

the sides are joined with the sole by ten brass screws (M4) for each side; each screw has been screwed (with some ephoxy) and the head cutted and filed away.

here some shavings..........

stanley66002vk8.jpg

stanley66003sj1.jpg

stanley66004bx0.jpg

I have almost finished a small infill smoother (similar to the small Brese plane).....I hope to post some pictures soon......

Back