I KNOW NOTHING!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
My woodworking history goes back about 30 years when I made large a set of wall shelves in pine. Very little since.

Now I have retired, my interest has been sparked by my son (43) wanting a router for Christmas, as he has done a little woodworking, but wants to do more and needs some knowledge.
Foolishly or ? I went into B & Q a couple of days ago and bought a JCB 1500w Router, which I have put away. I did ask for help, but the person there simply said that the routers are much the same, so I went for the JCB as it looked reasonably sound and had a 5 year guarantee.

Having now read a little on some sites and looked at some video's, this is quite a complex subject and I would like to get it right, for my son and well as myself wanting to 'lend a hand'.

Can some kind person offer advice on the possibility that the JCB is reasonable for starters, and where is the best place for advice in addition to this forum. I am based just outside Birmingham (Wythall) and don't know if there are local woodworking clubs, or someone local who I can chat to.

Many thanks

Alex

I know less mate, aren't jcb digger makers?

As far as the brand goes it's more about knowledge Than what brand or what price. It's the craftsman that makes the piece not not tool he is using. It's does have to be capable though and I can't imagine jcb would put its name to a product that's not at least capable.

I use utube a lot if I need to know anything. I would say 90% of anything I have learnt woodworking over the last 4 years has been from utube.

Nice to see your interest in woodworking has been rekindled, some quality dad and son time coming.

5 year guarantee- well the manufacturer has faith. If it turns out to be no good he has plenty of time to find out.

Thanks for the reply fishandchips. . JCB do make diggers, but I don't want to damage to wood! It looks reasonable quality at £85, but if it's not really the right one, I think I can change it on the basis of poor advice and not been opened. Have little knowledge of the right places to go for woodworking equipment like this........ or advice!

Alex

I am sure the router you have bought will be fine for your son starting out. I started my routing life with a small Bosch one which I almost killed eventually before I learned more and upgraded. As has been mentioned, you tube has some info on routing and there are forums like this one full of advice and information. Make sure he buys good quality cutters and they will last for years. Also always take light cuts with a router and never deeper than the diameter of the cutter. The Trend tools site has some good info on it on routing and there are a few articles on there by Ron Fox who is a down to earth router God. If all else fails just ask on here and someone will help out. HTH. :wink:

mailee":2l96l9zo said:
I am sure the router you have bought will be fine for your son starting out. I started my routing life with a small Bosch one which I almost killed eventually before I learned more and upgraded. As has been mentioned, you tube has some info on routing and there are forums like this one full of advice and information. Make sure he buys good quality cutters and they will last for years. Also always take light cuts with a router and never deeper than the diameter of the cutter. The Trend tools site has some good info on it on routing and there are a few articles on there by Ron Fox who is a down to earth router God. If all else fails just ask on here and someone will help out. HTH. :wink:

Thanks Alan,

just getting interested again as I like a challenge, even at my age. I was mainly concerned that with a somewhat unknown router, such as the JCB, will we be able to progress to a suitable router table once the basics are known. There seems to be a huge difference in table prices. I am also concerned about the dust aspect of routers.

Any advice on second hand tools sites would be appreciated.

Alex

Alex it will be fine for a novice. It's not the best but will do what is asked of it, and as long as he keeps the guarantee he's safe. You might want to add a Ron Fox video to his stocking. Google him or You Tube him. He has squillions of routers and does lots of educational videos on them. It would be more polite and also more useful for your son to buy his video than watch it on YT.
I should also add that they are powerful machines and whilst not as dangerous as a powered saw still require respect.

Grayorm":2im8frr0 said:
Alex it will be fine for a novice. It's not the best but will do what is asked of it, and as long as he keeps the guarantee he's safe. You might want to add a Ron Fox video to his stocking. Google him or You Tube him. He has squillions of routers and does lots of educational videos on them. It would be more polite and also more useful for your son to buy his video than watch it on YT.
I should also add that they are powerful machines and whilst not as dangerous as a powered saw still require respect.

Thanks for that.

As you say it's not the best (and the best can obviously cost a lot more) what woulkd yoiu sat would be better under £100 todat. Perhaps it's worth swaping at B & Q?
Alex

I have no knowledge of JCB tools other than they are entry level stuff, and that they are fairly new to the market. I doubt you'll find many on this forum that buy tools from B&Q. I am guessing that it's this http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/ ... d=11448267
Having just looked at B&Q I'd say swop it for this http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/ ... d=10197625. Although it doesn't have a half inch collet (to take bigger cutters), it's likely to be a more reliable and better finished machine.
What you need is to speak to someone on here with experience of JCB tools so I suggest you start another thread specifying in the thread title that you need advice on them.

This is a trade quality machine, you get what you pay for. http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dw624- ... uter/18075 However he may use it once and then put it away for a year, so an entry level unit is the best first buy.

That Bosch does not have any good reviews in b&b

Also read in one review on axminster.co.uk that there is no lock on the start button so you can't use it on a router table, unless your mister tickle, although the reviews are good in general.

I tend to buy my woodworking stuff second hand if possible. 1. You get better kit. 2. You get a better resale value if it's not exactly what you want, sometimes same and more. You don't gat a warranty though but on the better quality gear that's ok. I have not got caught out yet. Touch wood.

I started out with mainly JCB tools bought from Focus before about 15 years ago. Since then I have obviously upgraded what I used most, but it's only in the last 6 months I've changed my circular saw, and then only because I got a good deal.
I would say the router will be just fine, JCB seem to be good tools to start out with, and if he decides he wants to upgrade in the future he can.
Personally I would rather buy JCB from B&Q then most of the other makes.
In my experience there Dealts and Makita's are the low powered DIY tools, Black & Decker are hopeless and their MacAlister brand generally doesn't deserve the title of tool at all.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Fishandchips":2bptj77e said:
That Bosch does not have any good reviews in b&b

Also read in one review on axminster.co.uk that there is no lock on the start button so you can't use it on a router table, unless your mister tickle, although the reviews are good in general.

I tend to buy my woodworking stuff second hand if possible. 1. You get better kit. 2. You get a better resale value if it's not exactly what you want, sometimes same and more. You don't gat a warranty though but on the better quality gear that's ok. I have not got caught out yet. Touch wood.

B&B?
Just a suggestion that he changes to an established recognised name. (If we dig we'll probably find JCB are owned by Bosch! :roll: ). I'd never buy a power tool second hand, they may be on their last legs, or worse stolen from another tradesman. My Trend doesn't have a locking switch, I have a Hitachi under my table that does. If he's a novice he may well be a while away from a router table, and will have to look more seriously at machines if choosing one for a table.

It's probably going to be fine for a new user though without using one it's difficult to say for sure. My cheap B&D will be fine for a new user but I know it's limitations. That;s the point cheaper machines tend to have more limitations thus restricting what can be done with them easily. Most, if not all, machines will be OK for tenching, rebating, flush trimming and circles with the correct cutters. If it can take some kind of guide bush it'll be good for use in some sort of jigs and can be used for mortice and tenons, dovetails and other joints. A fine height adjuster will improve things again but this might be one area where it lacks. If your son takes to routing he'll probably want a nicer machine down the line, it'll be OK to sideline the £85 JCB at that point because it's not an expensive one and will have served it's purpose. [In reality the JCB is likely to be reserved for tasks that it is able to do and a better machine doing the more sophisticated tasks, this what it's like for me anyway]

bear in mind that a few years ago, routers didnt have some of the premium features that today's do. They may have been European made, and robust, but the little Elu that I have is pretty basic in terms of extra. Very well regarded though.
router.jpg
(image taken from the web, but it is the same as one i have)

As M series says above, the JCB is probably fine, and will get him going. Even when he replaces it in a few years, having 2 or 3 is very useful. And if it breaks in 4 years time, you can get your money back.

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 670
Fishandchips":1w0caonn said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/the-50-best-power-tools-8444754.html?action=gallery&ino=12

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10957563/reviews.htm

Thanks fishandchips...... now I am considering making a change after reading the report from homemademan. I did phone JCB, but they say they were not aware of any fault like this, but obviously he found it, so why are others not complaining.

If I choose to return the JCK to B & Q, what other router could I consider up to about £100 please

Or anyone else please reply.

Alex

Alexam":3jbj5n9f said:
Fishandchips":3jbj5n9f said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/the-50-best-power-tools-8444754.html?action=gallery&ino=12

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10957563/reviews.htm

Thanks fishandchips...... now I am considering making a change after reading the report from homemademan. I did phone JCB, but they say they were not aware of any fault like this, but obviously he found it, so why are others not complaining.

If I choose to return the JCK to B & Q, what other router could I consider up to about £100 please

Or anyone else please reply.

Alex
See my previous post Alex re the Bosch.

Maldwyn gives what I would consider a fair review. He points out some bad points. You won't get many good 1/2" routers for less than £100 though, all will have probably have small issues like this one. Maybe consider a smaller, lower powered 1/4" machine of higher quality for the money. I am thinking Trend T4 type machine.

Back