I have won £1.000.000

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have got 3 cherries up on a scratch card, yesterdays Daily Telegraph.

Not in need of the winnings really so if someone would like to make me an offer for the winning card I will put in post.

devonwoody":2kejrzzz said:
I have got 3 cherries up on a scratch card, yesterdays Daily Telegraph.

Just out of interest, is that exactly how the amount is printed on the card. If so it's really a con since it can't be correct how ever you read it.
(I'm refering to the use of dots, aka full stops in place of commas but not in the correct places)

prize.jpg

Any offers :wink:

DW, if you weren't already an established member of this forum I'm sure people would be wondering if you have business associates in Nigeria.

How can anyone have a valid winning ticket, claim they're not interested in making a claim, then offer to sell it it? If you're not interested in the money, give it freely to someone who can use it for a worthy purpose.

Gill

Its another form of scam that we have forgotten about since we have been flooded with emails of a similar nature.

I knew when I saw the card I thought I wonder how many winners I have got?

I have no doubt that if I applied for my prize I would find I have to enter the next stage? and looking at the back of the form I see some cash is needed from me.

Do you think part of the scam maybe to do with telephoning 0906 number (or sending a text)? I believe a lot of money is made this way!

As a matter of interest who puts these cards in the Telegraph?

Cheers :D
Tony

Slimjim81":3rm0649u said:
Losos":3rm0649u said:
but not in the correct places

Where do you think they should be?

If the prize is 1 dollar it can ONLY be written as $1.00

If it is ten dollars it can ONLY be written as $10.00

As you will recall from your school maths lessons once it goes above a thousand the commas start to come into play so if the prize was. let us say, ten thousand dollars it can ONLY be written as $10,000.00

If, as they wanted people to think, it was a million dollars there is only one way to write that :-

$1,000,000.00

N.B. I've used dollars as my keyboard doesn't have the pound key and I don't have time to go through all the hassle of allocating a key for it (Hardly ever use it anyway :lol: )

Edited to say:-
This may not be the ISO 'approved' system, but it's how I was taught, and I was taught the 'correct' way, so all the overpaid ISO lot have got it wrong :wink:

The correct way to write numbers according to the ISO system is to use a comma for the decimal separator and to us a space between the thousands.

One million pounds would be £1 000 000.00

John

Just had a look at the cards in enlarged view and it does have the commas in the right places, 'tho no dot and two zeros at the end.

Original thread title lost a little in the translation :lol:

However, it's clear the OP was highlighting the dubious nature of these games, almost certainly he hasn't yet won anything, high price phone calls and further 'stages' have to be gone through before any money is paid out.

But, as the saying goes, "there's one born everyday" :cry: :cry:

Johnboy":3py6u1te said:
The correct way to write numbers according to the ISO system is to use a comma for the decimal separator and to us a space between the thousands.

One million pounds would be £1 000 000.00

John

Is that really how the ISO system defines it? I didn't know that, :oops: I was taught as in my post above and I still consider that to be a much better format :) Just having a space between the thousands must be a recipe for confusion and errors, one only has to ommit a space to make the whole system ambiguos, whereas inserting a comma is a positive action.

Oh well, I suppose we all have to use the ISO system now :shock:

Most people use commas to separate the thousands, especially for currency. Spaces are correct and used in engineering with teh comma only used for the decimal.

John

Look at the small print on the tickets: Calls cost £1.50 per minute and last 6 minutes (minimun). Alternatively claim by text and receive 6 texts costing £1.50 a go.

This is a scam aimed at taking money from people who don't read the small print

good luck!!

I dont think you can call it a scam - the prizes offered are genuine. Sure it costs alot to claim and the vast majority are usually 'holiday vouchers' or a 50p keyring. The promoters make their money and consequently the prize money, from the calls and texts. If you want to take the gamble that you have won a million quid rather than a voucher then its up to you to pay the £9 phone call charge and listen to 6 minutes of blurb to find out. Nobody is making you call.

A scam is where the prize offered is not genuine.

Steve.

Agreed , stevie,
But everyone gets a winning scratch card, otherwise nobody phones in and if I had the only winning card they would hardly pay me £1 million pounds on the strength of a £10 telephone call.
So thats the part that hasn't been put up front by the promoter.

But everyone gets a winning scratch card, otherwise nobody phones in and if I had the only winning card they would hardly pay me £1 million pounds on the strength of a £10 telephone call

Ah, but where does it say you have won £1,000,000? From your photo of the card it merely says £1,000,000 is the top prize, and that having three matching symbols gets you one of the listed prizes. I would be inclined to think you have won a holiday for 2 in Italy with 3 matching symbols (possibly subject to you purchasing flights, going to a designated hotel on designated dates and paying an administration charge!)

Its not lying, but its certainly praying on the gullibility of people who want something for nothing.

Steve.

Losos":34l9bpyc said:
snip . . . As you will recall from your school maths lessons once it goes above a thousand the commas start to come into play so if the prize was. let us say, ten thousand dollars it can ONLY be written as $10,000.00 . . . snip

That rather depends on which country your school was in :)

In much of Europe your example could be written either $10 000,00 or $10.000,00 ; In Switzerland $10'000,00 - it is really only English speaking countries that use the notation as you have it.

Having lived in several different countries and having had to do financial reports in most of them it can get very confusing - especially when one document goes to several different nationalities.

All the best,

Steve

Latest posts

Back