I have a mouse in the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethharvey

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been suspicious for some time that I am not alone in the workshop, last night I moved a bag of bird seed to find a small hole over a hole repair with masking tape. I set up my camera and found this little fella:

Attachments

• IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 455
Little sods.

I had a rolled-up rug standing in the workshop for a while. Mice filled it almost to the top with sunflower seeds. I only found out when I moved the damn rug.

I used to have six micro-colonies of mice in the workshop, when I used to breed lizards, Their numbers never seemed to grow :wink:
Lovely little things, shame about the smell of the males or I'd maybe keep a couple as pets.

The bird seed will attract them - keep it in a plastic tub or somewhere other than the workshop if you can. Once in, they will make a mess and, more significantly, nibble through almost anything - including electrical flex. Not as bad as rats though - had those too!

I have just cured a rat problem, The little blighters were going in the workshop and eating my koi pellets. I went through a full tub of poison and was starting to panic because every night the packages of poison were gone. They were clever little things, I set a load of mouse traps, 2 rat traps and a gin trap. They still managed to negotiate the traps and get the bate.

I always prefer a humane solution where possible. Humane mouse traps are easy, reusable, non-messy and best all round :)

BluegillUK":24i2h4u8 said:
I always prefer a humane solution where possible. Humane mouse traps are easy, reusable, non-messy and best all round :)

Have just ordered one off eBay, will need to plug the holes with mesh to stop them coming back in.

I have a timber floor with a void below, I had to drill ventilation holes below the floor last year.

I had one nesting in the cardboard packaging of an old router under my bench. It nicked all the hempseed from across the garage and stored them inside the router box, must have taken it months to transport them all one by one. I only found it as I needed to use the router, picked it up and "boom", eaten hempseed (fishing bait) all over everywhere!!

I have suffered several mouse invasions. As well as leaving their droppings these critters have:
- shredded an old shower curtain and used it to make a nest inside my motorbike helmet,
- eaten the top off a plastic bottle to get at the oil inside,
- chewed my cabinet handled screwdriver.

Attachments

• IMG_2456C.jpg
    IMG_2456C.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 205
They may be cute but they can cause some serious damage. My son in law had a motorcycle helmet, boot and leather jacket ruined by mice getting in his garage and nesting and gnawing holes. Caused several hundred pounds worth of damage. You need to get rid of the infestation ASAP even if it is unpalatable.

K

I use an electronic gadget I got from Amazon for 25 quid. We had mice in the attic and in the void between the living room ceiling and my daughters bedroom floor. I put poison down in the attic but it didn't work. I plugged the gadget into a socket in the upstairs landing. Took about a week or so to shift them with me not having to do anything else. I now have it in my workshop where there are a few mice and seems to have done the trick. I am going to get another one so I can keep it switched on in the house as a preventative measure.
Just found the box and its called "Advanced mouse and rat repeller whole house" and the website of the manufacturer is www.pestbye.com
Its my kind of ideal solution - just plug it in and you don't have to do anything else.
No connection with manufacturer, just a happy user.

years ago when i was still living with the parents we had a mouse in the garage. didn't know.

over time i had bits of black foam appearing by my car (MX-5) and no idea where it come from.

then one day when cleaning the car (the engine bay, it was a modified example so regular shows) noticed some wires were missing the plastic outer.

anyhow, found the nest after winter (full of plastic bag shreds and bird food).

and when i had a new fuel filter fitted (due to new turbo installation) we found a second nest, full of bird food, plastic, but no animal.

also for the poison, best to avoid, as if they at enough then rodents will move away from the next to die, so could be in another inaccessible ares of ceiling, in the wall void....

Back