I & H Sorby mortice chisel overstamp?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phydeaux

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I have been told that you are a friendly bunch and as I am new to this forum lark, be gentle with me.

I have an I & H Sorby heavy duty mortice chisel that has been over-stamped with the either master or waster, could this be a second?
So far I have drawn a blank, and someone said that if this was so he would have heard of it and hasn't.
He suggested I try this forum.
Thanks in advance.

I have tried to upload a photo, to no avail, file to big is the message, am I doing something wrong?

Hi,
I just had the same problem uploading. The file size needs to be 256Kb or less and then it will up load.
Hope that helps

:)

Hi, welcome along, we are mostly friendly most of the time, especially if you use nice old hand tools.

I believe that you are correct, and that tools that did not come "up to the mark" would be stamped "waster" and would normally have been scrapped, not released for sale. They are therefore quite rare, but I've never heard of them being valuable as a consequence.

Simon Barley notes this practice in his new book on saws.

As for the picure, it needs to be below 256kb for upload to the forum, so do have another go.

You need to make three posts (to prove you are human, not a nasty software bot) before you can post links.
So if you want to post a link to a picture which is on Photobucket or Flickr or Imagr or some similar hosting site, you need three posts.

Linking to pictures hosted elsewhere is a better way really, as it means you can offer preview versions and full size pictures in better quality than the forum owners are willing to host. The downside is if someone closes their picture hosting account and all the pictures disappear from their old posts.

jimi43":9btmph35 said:
Don't you also have to have 3+ posts to post any pictures?

Try a couple of "hi" posts first...

HELLO!! :mrgreen:

Jimi
Hi Jimi

I was offered a new job recently, helping a one armed typist type capital letters!

I refused it owing to the fact it was shift work.
I'll get my coat!

AndyT":6dbgnydz said:
Hi, welcome along, we are mostly friendly most of the time, especially if you use nice old hand tools.

I believe that you are correct, and that tools that did not come "up to the mark" would be stamped "waster" and would normally have been scrapped, not released for sale. They are therefore quite rare, but I've never heard of them being valuable as a consequence.

Simon Barley notes this practice in his new book on saws.

As for the picure, it needs to be below 256kb for upload to the forum, so do have another go.

Are you insinuating that I am in receipt of stolen goods? it is old having the 'golden fleece' mark.
Any members of the constabulary post on here?
I'm to old to do a stretch!
You wont take me alive cooper!

I think you'll be ok as long as you've kept the original chit that the foreman gave you, saying you had permission to remove it from the works. :wink:

phydeaux":3l20uxeo said:
jimi43":3l20uxeo said:
Don't you also have to have 3+ posts to post any pictures?

Try a couple of "hi" posts first...

HELLO!! :mrgreen:

Jimi
Hi Jimi

I was offered a new job recently, helping a one armed typist type capital letters!

I refused it owing to the fact it was shift work.
I'll get my coat!

PARDON!!?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back