I Bought a Track Saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere there are unmarrieds laughing at us lot with rings thinking this won't happen to them!

Anyway, I went to screwfix while I was out anyway, went to the trade desk (joys of an account!) and they just swapped it over. Didn't even look inside the box!

Turns out, there was no extra hole in the old one, there was not enough hole! That entire section is supposed to be a hole. The new one I have its nice and clean, while the old one obviously hadn't been cast quite right so still had leftovers in it.

Never mind.

DBT85":3krh9s2c said:
Somewhere there are unmarrieds laughing at us lot with rings thinking this won't happen to them!

Anyway, I went to screwfix while I was out anyway, went to the trade desk (joys of an account!) and they just swapped it over. Didn't even look inside the box!

Turns out, there was no extra hole in the old one, there was not enough hole! That entire section is supposed to be a hole. The new one I have its nice and clean, while the old one obviously hadn't been cast quite right so still had leftovers in it.

Never mind.

That's good news fella, it's great when exchanging items is nice and easy :D Have you had the bandsaw out yet?

Pete I admire your attitude, making the best of a bad situation and I am truly sorry for the weight loss you just went through. Hopefully that didn't offend you. I know there are a lot of woulda, shoulda, coulda thoughts that run through your mind about the accident and what would have prevented or mitigated the injury. This is one of the moments in which a saw equipped with a blade brake as a last line of defence would have minimized the injury to at most a few stitches. I say so not to push an agenda but to illustrate how even a good woodworker can end up hurt or survive an accident unhurt.

Speedy recovery
Pete

Inspector":1nz7i919 said:
Pete I admire your attitude, making the best of a bad situation and I am truly sorry for the weight loss you just went through. Hopefully that didn't offend you Pete

Not offended at all Pete :D I should have been having the operation as we speak...I had a shower this morning, and I even put clean
bloody underwear on, and then, at ten past two the hospital phoned and canceled until Sunday...I just hope it doesn't start smelling of
cheese in the meantime :lol:

When they called to cancel did you inform them that you'd already had your bi monthly wash? :lol:

PeteG":h67w0jmt said:
That's good news fella, it's great when exchanging items is nice and easy :D Have you had the bandsaw out yet?
Yeah they are pretty good to be fair. When I twatted at them late yesterday they got back to me immediately too.

Bandsaw has been unboxed and out on the bench, opened and inspected with a keen "ahh, this is a bandsaw". That's as far as I've got :lol:

Inspector":2kvufd2e said:
In the grand scream of things your injury isn't life threatening.......yet, so you get bumped. Happens here too.

Pete

True Pete, I think the surgeons were needed elsewhere tonight, so someone else was in a bad way...It's just a little frustrating when they
were on stand by for me on Monday, but as the finger couldn't be saved, end of. I wouldn't mind, but they didn't even put any Savlon on it :(

Now, if I'd have done this as a kid, my Gran would have got the dog to lick it, and within ten minutes I'd have been as right as rain :D

DBT85":7o6845lb said:
When they called to cancel did you inform them that you'd already had your bi monthly wash? :lol:

I won't be having another bloody shower now until after Sunday, I come over all funny like if I wash too often :D

DBT85":7o6845lb said:
Yeah they are pretty good to be fair. When I twatted at them late yesterday they got back to me immediately too.

Bandsaw has been unboxed and out on the bench, opened and inspected with a keen "ahh, this is a bandsaw". That's as far as I've got :lol:

Lets see some piccies when you get it sorted :D I really want one but I'll have to sell a few things first to get the cash together...

This has made me think.
I used to wear a wedding ring, but I heard a lot of nasty stories about the risks that they can exacerbate. The mechanic who made contact with his spanner between his ring and his car battery, welding the three together and searing off his finger. The guy who caught his ring on a railing and ripped his finger off. There are many.

So I stopped wearing it in the workshop and then life went pear-shaped so I stopped wearing it altogether.

Finger rings can be beautiful and of course, many have real meaning to us, but they should always come with a hazard warning. I shall never wear one again, that's for sure.

To carry on with the wedding ring accident theme..

When I was much younger and didn't detest football, I recall a goalkeeper (think it was the Argentina naitional team) getting his wedding ring caught on the goal post net hooks and nearly ripping his finger off....
I may have imagined that though :|

1/ get well soon, sorry to hear about your accident. As others have said, i admire your attitude, and I hope everything is smooth sailing from here.
2/ I haven't used my table saw in over a year, I'm not sure I ever will again!! Too many injuries I hear about :-( I'll be using a track saw as much as possible...
3/ glad I don't wear a wedding ring.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

PeteG":itr42jjd said:
Lets see some piccies when you get it sorted :D I really want one but I'll have to sell a few things first to get the cash together...

That's the only reason I've got this one. I had a rummage and had (in theory) £1100 worth of stuff to shift on ebay and they gave me a £1 max selling fee code, so I used it. It's mostly to pay off some bills but I decided that with the table saw going for around £300, I can pile that back into a bandsaw, track saw, evo track and HLVP sprayer as I have some domestic bits coming up where all will be useful.

The table saw could do much of it, but its not a permanent fixture so has to be got out of the cupboard, set up, used, put away etc. One day when I have my garage/workshop I'll get another as they are definitely a useful tool to have around.

I'll make a titan bandsaw thread when I get around to it!

Steve Maskery":2ya9umwy said:
I like the idea of a Grand Scream after all that.
No lecture, just good wishes for your recovery.
S

Appreciated Steve :D I had a few choice words for myself at the time that I won't repeat, I reckon folk can image what they'd be :D

Steve Maskery":2ya9umwy said:
I stopped wearing it in the workshop and then life went pear-shaped so I stopped wearing it altogether.

Finger rings can be beautiful and of course, many have real meaning to us, but they should always come with a hazard warning. I shall never wear one again, that's for sure.

I swore I'd never take my ring off for anything, but as our lass said to me, "You didn't".
I never thought wearing a ring could be a potential danger and I've always been careful not to wear any loose clothing when I'm in the shed.
That comes from a story my woodwork teacher at school told the class about a kid who's tie got caught in the lathe.
I was asked at hospital if I wore gloves. I have thought about them in the past having seen chain-mail one's for filleting fish,
if that's the type the hospital were thinking about, rightly or wrongly I could only think of them getting caught and dragging your
hand in, instead of allowing the hand to instantly recoil. That was my way thinking anyway.

scooby":3mbx5szr said:

When I was much younger and didn't detest football, I recall a goalkeeper (think it was the Argentina naitional team) getting his wedding ring caught on the goal post net hooks and nearly ripping his finger off....

Nothing to do with wedding rings or football, but as kid we were on holiday camping on the Isle of Wight. A few aunties and uncles came
along so with all the kids there were quite a few of us. There's a swimming pool on site and I'm the only one who's forgot their trunks,
although I can blame my folks for not packing them. Anyway, my mum says she'll cut the legs off of a pair of mucking out trousers, pants
you could wear for playing out, it didn't matter if you got them covered in mud or ripped the @rse out of them. I slip in to my new shorts,
pull the zip up, and then scream in agony as I'd caught my scrotum, not just a little bit, nearly the full bloody length of the zip...I still get
a twitch in the nether regions when I think of that day :lol:

sammy.se":3oyq8ehj said:
1/ get well soon, sorry to hear about your accident. As others have said, i admire your attitude, and I hope everything is smooth sailing from here.
2/ I haven't used my table saw in over a year, I'm not sure I ever will again!! Too many injuries I hear about :-( I'll be using a track saw as much as possible...
3/ glad I don't wear a wedding ring.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Appreciated Sammy :D I'll use the track saw in future, it's the only time I cut anything at 45 degrees making French Cleats and being such
a handy joint I'm not going to stop using them. I decided to use the T/S as I have more experience on that saw, though it doesn't sound
like using the word "experience" quit fits right in that sentence at the moment...

DBT85":293bqixz said:
I'll make a titan bandsaw thread when I get around to it!

Look forward to it fella :D I keep thinking about having another go with a HLVP, I can get quite a nice finish with a spray can
if I don't rush, and find it easier with the space I have, but some of the projects coming up are a bit bigger than I've done before.

PeteG, as the survivor of an industrial accident that peeled part of my left index finger somewhat agin to a banana...you have my utmost sympathies - and best wishes for a wholesome recovery. I do hope you don't experience 'phantom finger'.
Very impressed by your stoicism and 'get on with it' attitude. Respect.

Sam

SammyQ":4qdtqpuu said:
PeteG, as the survivor of an industrial accident that peeled part of my left index finger somewhat agin to a banana...you have my utmost sympathies - and best wishes for a wholesome recovery. I do hope you don't experience 'phantom finger'.
Very impressed by your stoicism and 'get on with it' attitude. Respect.

Sam

Appreciated Sammy, I like that, "Stoicism" :D I might have had a little phantom finger the other night when I tried to scratch the end of my finger. And I have thought if I'd still get it after they remove stumpy and move the little pinky over.

PeteG":2ed1lcaq said:
scooby":2ed1lcaq said:

Nothing to do with wedding rings or football, but as kid we were on holiday camping on the Isle of Wight. A few aunties and uncles came
along so with all the kids there were quite a few of us. There's a swimming pool on site and I'm the only one who's forgot their trunks,
although I can blame my folks for not packing them. Anyway, my mum says she'll cut the legs off of a pair of mucking out trousers, pants
you could wear for playing out, it didn't matter if you got them covered in mud or ripped the @rse out of them. I slip in to my new shorts,
pull the zip up, and then scream in agony as I'd caught my scrotum, not just a little bit, nearly the full bloody length of the zip...I still get
a twitch in the nether regions when I think of that day :lol:

:shock: mate, you're a complete mad man (hammer) I mean that in a nice way, it sounds like nothing gets you down. A good quality.

Back