I am (I think) a rather jammy git!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo8604

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies...... this is a bit of a gloat thread

So I picked up a load of free timber from a guy who was clearing out his recently deceased mothers house, it turns out his father was a carpenter and had a load of timber in his workshop (god knows how long it had been there) most of it was bits of conti board/ply/MDF and old cupboard doors etc but there were several lengths of Mahogany boards and about a dozen mahogany edging strips about 2m long.

I don't mind using the scraps to practice on and I've no idea what species of timber most of it is (apart from the mahogany and man made boards) so I thought I'd experiment with my bandsaw and see how thin I could cut timber. there was a length of something that was old and painted so I thought lets practice on that..... it turns out that I have appeared to have set up my bandsaw reasonably well! I cut the whole length of perhaps 500mm x 47mm to a thickness of 1.3mm with no blade wander whatsoever. I gave it a quick (very quick) sanding and experimented with some cheap BLO I had got for 75% off and it has come up lovely.

IMAG0969.jpg

I was going to re-vamp my tool hutch with the mahogany but after reading posts on here, it might be a bit too valuable for use as workshop furniture so don't know what I'll use it for at the moment, I might use the man made boards to build some storage for tools as I think I might need to keep a wall free for timber storage now.

Needless to say, I'm pretty pleased with myself :wink:

Brazilian mahogany perhaps? -A nice find if it is, as its on the CITES list and no longer imported.

I've tried to fix the image, not sure what the issue is because it's fine my end?

For those who can't view it, it is a photo of the veneer I had cut with one end lightly sanded and treated with a bit of BLO

The veneer looks like homegrown Douglas Fir, which is lovely stuff, if a little brittle at times.

I used to buy it in waney edged boards straight from the mill when I lived in Wales, It's actually one of my favourite timbers for general joinery.

I recently cleared out a 90 year old furniture makers wood store as he is on his deathbed.
It was stored in a transit luton body and packed to the roof.
Their was every species you could think about, turning blanks and reclaimed timbers.
I kept the wide apple, elm and beech boards and the reclaimed mahogany.
Don't weep, the rest i cut up for firewood !!!
I took the view if their was not a quantity of boards from the same species it was no use for me.
I later looked up what odd boards were fetching on ebay, well we all make mistakes.

Back