Hybrid boxes, ozzy burr's and spruce cones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":1xzb8wza said:
.... it's the second piece of turning I've seen posted recently that has drawn me to it by the vibrancy of the colour Blue.

Recently read an article and it went into how the brain perceives colour. More details at http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/l ... s-Response

In short the retina is made up of rods and cones. The cones in the retina are sensitive to wavelengths of light that correspond to three colours Blue, Green and Red - the three primary colours. The green cones are the most sensitive - which probably explains why we like green lawns and trees in leaf etc; I wonder if its your blue cones that are being stimulated by the vibrate blue and sending what I would call a 'pleasure' signal to your brain.

The blue with wood doesn't do it for me whether its my eye or brain I don't know, but one or both are working differently to yours.

Brian

Random Orbital Bob":k58jolmp said:
cornucopia":k58jolmp said:
thank you for all of your kind comments, Bob is correct - a piece of burr is placed into a mould then liquid resin is poured in, once its cured its a solid blank which is then turned just like any other blank.

Its a very original idea George, I've not come across that style before. Partly because I'm relatively new to turning and also something of a noob to this forum.

Where do you get hold of the resin? Does it behave somewhat like wax but perhaps with a higher melting point? I've never used it before.

Many thanks, the work is quite stunning by the way :)

Have a look through some of these threads in some of them there are links to some of the resins

Very interesting and distinctive. Shame that the resin is so expensive or I would be tempted to have a go.

Latest posts

Back