Hybrid boxes, ozzy burr's and spruce cones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi George good to see you posting. As always the turning is up to you very high standard. But number 2 is just to busy in the colour department for me personally. And the last one is just up my street just love that blue contrast to the wood

Dalboy":2kbeexgo said:
...... And the last one is just up my street just love that blue contrast to the wood

Funny you should say that, it's the second piece of turning I've seen posted recently that has drawn me to it by the vibrancy of the colour Blue.

Good to see more of your detailed creations George, a complete counterpoint to your large hollow forms but still maximising the character of the wood, if anything with more intensity. Maintaining the faultless interface across the differing media is impressive.

Very nice maybe one day I will be that good, just in case I have put your website in my favourites list

I have yet to experience the joys of turning and am excited at merely turning my first piece of B and Q 2x2 pine, practising cuts and so on. This stuff not only excites, it's awe inspiring. Amazing work

Sent from my GT-I9300

thank you for all of your kind comments, Bob is correct - a piece of burr is placed into a mould then liquid resin is poured in, once its cured its a solid blank which is then turned just like any other blank.

cornucopia":2rew22f4 said:
thank you for all of your kind comments, Bob is correct - a piece of burr is placed into a mould then liquid resin is poured in, once its cured its a solid blank which is then turned just like any other blank.

Its a very original idea George, I've not come across that style before. Partly because I'm relatively new to turning and also something of a noob to this forum.

Where do you get hold of the resin? Does it behave somewhat like wax but perhaps with a higher melting point? I've never used it before.

Many thanks, the work is quite stunning by the way :)

Number 2 is my favourite here, I am guessing that is the pine cone, something I have thought about trying myself after I picked a few up recently, it looks fantastic George, I really like the colour combination too.

Thank you for your kind comments

Firstly I’d like to say that what I’m doing is not original, casting resin and embedding objects within it has been around for many years. I first seen this style of half burr half resin blanks in the US as pen blanks, I bought some and after several months got friendly with the maker and asked if he could make them bigger? I think he said He’d never tried but would give it a go. After a year or so of importing the blanks the shipping and import costs got too much and I decided to try and make my own, that was about two years ago.

Forgive me as I make part of my living from these blanks and so cannot say too much about which resin it is and where it’s from.....but what I can say is that it is public knowledge so (just like I did) with a bit of googleing and lots of trial and error and I dread to think how much money!!... anyone can make them.

The resin turns just like boxwood does, i.e it cuts easily with ribbons flying of the tool but takes a fine detail when needed and also a thread if needed.

Random Orbital Bob":26oki80o said:
cornucopia":26oki80o said:

Its a very original idea George, I've not come across that style before. Partly because I'm relatively new to turning and also something of a noob to this forum.

Where do you get hold of the resin? Does it behave somewhat like wax but perhaps with a higher melting point? I've never used it before.

Many thanks, the work is quite stunning by the way :)

Removed as George has responded!

Back