Humidor help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgrace470

Reaction score
Hi all,

As always, I know the forum has a wealth of knowledge and expertise, I'm looking to speak to someone about building a humidor for those who have built them before. I have a few basic ideas and have been on youtube hunting around, but I find it's always best to discuss the problems that people come across when building them.

A few things to note that I'll use:
- I'm planning on either a Mahogany or Oak casing for the exterior aesthetics
- Spanish Cedar for the inner compartment (the known tobacco worm repellent)
- I'm toying with the idea of cutting out a hole in the front and placing a plexiglass (i cant remember the English term!) again for aesthetics to show the cigars inside the humidor.

If anyone has an opinion I'd appreciate the input!

Cheers guys,
John

i looked at building one, and it is on my list of things to do. I think you are along the right lines. Not sure about the plexi glass (acrylic over here I believe) but that would be down to personal preference. My inspiration was the Dunhill ones, which were quite understated. Somewhere I have some weblinks for the humidifaction system to go inside if you get stuck. As I understood it, it is either a box within a box, or a veneered box, with a spanish cedar veneer on the inside. With or without liftout trays. You probably need to decide what you want to store because that will dictate the size.

Have you managed to get any spanish cedar? I didnt get very far looking, but I found some veneer on Crispins that looked to be the same thing under a different name. I didnt get as far as finding out if it was the same. Spanish Cedar is CITES listed though I think. Again, I didnt get as far as looking properly, but I did wonder about trying to get a cegar box or two and using the cedar from that. IIRC Dunhill use a type of unfinished mahogany on their interiors.

Thanks for the link brihol, I'll have a read of that when i get a moment.

I think the Dunhill ones look very nice, the finishing coat on them looks very opulent, particularly on the darker toned humidors. I'd really appreciate having a read of the humidification systems if you wouldn't mind posting them, as a Cohiba smoker on every occasion I can celebrate, every last bit of info to my project would benefit me hugely!

I don't think the material of the exterior box matters, that's just down to personal taste. The most important part is the internal one as the spanish cedar keeps the worms out and also helps to keep the humidity around 70%, a talented tree indeed! My approach will be to build the internal box initially, and make sure i have the exact dimentions of that to construct the exterior box around it. I think in doing it the other way round it's very hit and miss with whether the box fits.
As for acquiring the wood, I called a timber supplier earlier today and he told me that they could supply 'practically any wood' of any quantity be it business scale or hobby scale. Funnily enough the supplier is 200 yards down the road from me in Borehamwood so I can pop down in a couple of days for a chat with them (I'm still skeptical that they can supply almost any wood on the market). The wood itself is under CITES Appendix iii, it is not faced with exstinction or under serious threat, but is scarce in one or more country, hence the request for authorities such as CITES to monitor its production and distribution.
I'll be in touch with my progress - it is more of a long term project despite it being a small one.. This is just because i want it to be perfect!

Best regards,
John

PS. I couldn't remember the name for plexiglass so had to use the american term! After I'd posted it came back to me :D

john,

i will have a look for those links- they are on my laptop at home I think.

If you are trying to get some Spanish Cedar, could you add enough for another box on the enquiry- I may resurrect my project!?

Cheers
Mark

Certainly can! I've been having a look at bits and bobs and found a thread on here from 2007 with a few good links (below).

http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/species_cedar.htm
Apparently these guys sell it for definite, though North Yorkshire is a long way to have it couriered for such a small amount!

www.cgars.com
I noticed that on their clearance website they have a pot luck £5.00 cigar box option, would be good as I you'd have the dimensions for it precut anyway! They have a store in West Hampstead which is on my train home, so I'll wander over there tonight and ask about that.. I'll see if they sell the boxes with spanish cedar internally and if i can buy a couple.

http://www.drymistat.com/
Finally, these things look very good, they only require a top up of tap water every couple of months or so. Though I did see a thread where the RH wasn't kept at 70% using them, so I may have an play with these, nothing that a small hygrometer under the lid couldn't monitor!

john boddy isnt a million miles from me, so if you are not in a hurry, i could have a ride out that way sometime, and pop it in the post for you. I have never been there, but it is said to be well worth a visit.

For ideas on humidor design, have a look at Martin Lane: -

http://www.martinlane.co.uk

British Woodworking did a feature on Martin and his humidors way back in Issue no. 7. Surpsrisingly Spanish Cedar didn't seem to feature?

On business trips to Newcastle, I did used to pop into John Boddy's - certainly worth a look but not the cheapest. You could spend a fortune wandering around the warehouse so be warned!

Glynne

Thanks Glynne, Some of his work is inspriational! I particularly like the Cohiba themed box where he has created matching ashtrays etc.. May have a play around with that myself!

Latest posts

Back