Huge gouge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, I've not posted over here before as I'm a mere green bodge merchant when it come to wood turning but this morning I picked up this gouge at the car boot sale.

Monstergouge2.jpg

It's about twice as wide as my big roughing out gouge and about half the profile. Any ideas on a specific use?

don't know what the specific design use was, but have one with a similar profile that I use to remove bark on consistently shaped pieces initially - the bevel on mine is now cut a lot finer than my normal roughing gouge. I only use it on a push cut as it produced a lot of **** at a time.

Richard T":32vw4ox9 said:
...... Any ideas on a specific use?

Large Spindle Gouge of the carbon steel variety I would say.

Used for anything other than a planing cut on a spindle would be unwise I would suggest with that amount of cutting edge and the tang proportions.

A roughing gouge this big would be great for those large lumps that need planing down but being carbon steel I would be cautious as when that goes it really goes. As Chas points out the tang looks pretty flimsy for it's overall size. I'd be inclined to grind it to a longish bevel and use for fine rouging on stuff. With practice you can get a really good smooth finish cutting down on sanding.

pete

Thanks folks.
My first thought was probably "smoother roughing".
Re the flimsy tang .... it isn't really, I think it must just look that way in the photo. It's got quite a bit of meat in depth - just short of 1/2" in fact.

Monstergouge3.jpg

The only way to know for sure is to use it, which I will when I have my new lathe knocked together.

It is not a roughing gouge. I have one in my shed; it’s a continental spindle gouge, normally used for spindle turning of large columns.

This is avery lucky find I have one the same.It is a wonderful tool and will take an edge like a razor.
I use mine for roughing down of large pieces between centres.
DSC00941.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

Regards George

I use this one for making miniature bowls etc.
Mine's longer, but thinner...LOL...... :p :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,007
Back