Hubble, bubble, more lathe trouble!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":3kc1yb2m said:
Bodrighy":3kc1yb2m said:
...snip.. Result? My lathe whispers, runs really smoothly, better than original..... :D
...snip..
Pete

Well they say it is an ill wind that...

Joking apart Pete, despite having to go through the frustration of having to fix a broken part that is so basic to the operation that it should not have failed even on a machine built to a lower finish standard, the fact that you have been through this learning curve and have a sweeter running headstock is a positive.
Hope the fix does not mean that you have to trade in the sweeter running assembly and can get replacement parts fitted.

If it does you can bet that I will be opening it up, checking everything and lubricating anything that moves, or should move, before I use it :lol:
For years, due to finances and a huge family, I ran old Landrovers that I often had to sort out at the roadside so frustration is something that I have learnt to live with. My main concern is that suddenly I have been asked to run a stall at three different places in the next couple of months and need to build up some stock for them. I have a good supply of wood in so hope that this will get sorted quickly

Pete

When you move the speed control check and see if the push rod moves and is sliding through the casting connected to the pully. If that moves a locking pin has come out they are a pig to relocate. If it doesn't move the push rod needs replacing or the speed conrol arm needs replacing or both depending on wear.

Pete.
Were the 2 grub screws the ones on the drive shaft,the one in piccy 3 on my post.
If so have the 2 flanges moved away from the motor.I've got about an 1/8" gap between my flange and the motor.
Difficult to see the speed lever operating :roll: Though there are 2 more grub screws their as well.
Paul.J.

Next stage in the dead lathe saga....

Just spoke to John Fowler at Axminster. reckons that cogs and / or yoke inside have stripped and is going to send up replacements on spec. Siad to open it up off the lathe and have a look.
That failing it will be a tip to Axminster fo me..

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
reckons that cogs and / or yoke inside have stripped
Did he say how this has happened on a relatively new machine,or is it a common fault with the machine.
Paul.J.

I think Russell has hit the spot, hence my warning on a previous reply.
CHJ":3fiqi4nw said:
PS to avoid excessive loads on the lever/operating fork WHEN REDUCING SPEEDS the lathe shaft should always be rotated by hand when moving if motor not running. (the cone can't move without the belt being in motion)

If you look through past posts of mine on the subject of the performs or any other brand of these Vee Pulley Clones, you will find comments about the need to service the headstock on a regular basis to keep it sweet, with my use this turned out to be at about 1 month intervals others may not need to do it so often.

Pete, I note you said that you always adjusted with machine running, in this case I can only conclude that the headstock pulley/shaft interface may not have been sufficiently lubricated in the first instance, I know it can creep up on you without being obvious.

Hope your spares sort it.

I suspect that it has happened because it hasn't been lubricated enough by me. As fa as I can make out it isn't a common fault as long as good maintenance is done. Here I stand guilty as charged. Using a lot of reclaimed old wood there is a lot of dust generated and I suspect that I will need to lubricate and clean moe frequently.

When I open it up I'll take some pictures if it is of any use to you

Pete

Pete, there go we all but for the grace of whoever, it is good of you to air the saga and hopefully the resultant suggestions and solutions will aid others at some future date resolve their little niggles.

Been thinking about trying to put together a FAQ/Machine/Tool problem and associated solution links page so that all these little snippets don't disappear into the ether, I am having difficulty with a simple format though, I think i'll wait and see how much of an improvement the incorporation of the Google search makes, which I believe Charley is incorporating in the new site layout, before spending too much time on it.

Bodrighy wrote.
I suspect that it has happened because it hasn't been lubricated enough by me.
Surely lack of lube wouldn't cause that amount of damage on a new machine :?: would it. :shock:
Paul.J.

I suspect that Russells comment about the metal being soft has something to do with it. It did get a bit stiff before it went all together. Being 6' 5"I get a lot of leverage and could have inadvertantly forced it. I have never tried to change speed unless it was running but if, due to lack of lube, it was getting stuck I guess I could have forced it. I will know better when I open it up tomorrow. Axminster are sending up the bits they think are causing the problem and if that isn't it I have to get back to them. They said there is no problem doing my own maintenance (warranty) as long as there are no signs of me using a hammer.

Pete

Back