Hubble at 20

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is amazing. I would give anything to be able to go on the space station, even if it was only to look down on our planet, which is said to be such a beautiful sight that it takes your breath away :D

One thing that has always amused me is the fact that even though we know there are millions and billions of solar systems, galaxies, planets and stars, the arrogance of the human race still believes that earth is the only planet that contains intelligence life [-X

Cheers

Mike

Mike have you been hanging out with the Flat Earth Society! I thought most people assumed that there was intelligent life elsewhere but that we hadn't found any yet - as the circumstances that allow it are not as abundant as we may have thought. Just look at our solar system

Great pictures from Hubble though

I'm with you there Mike, Space Station would be incredible! James May went up in a spy plane on one of his progs and the curvature you could see even from that height was insane (although he probably had quite a wide lens on)

There's always Virgin Galactic :D

vgss1.jpg

Ironballs":1od7ssv6 said:
Mike have you been hanging out with the Flat Earth Society! I thought most people assumed that there was intelligent life elsewhere but that we hadn't found any yet - as the circumstances that allow it are not as abundant as we may have thought. Just look at our solar system

Great pictures from Hubble though

I think there is intelligent life out there. It's seen us and hiding :)

xy

Any intelligent life probably came across Glee on Channel 4 and though they'd not waste any more time on our planet

Mike - to be fair, it is no more arrogant to assume that there is no other intelligent life, as it is to assume that there *is* other intelligent life out there.
For a start, on the *assumption* that life has developed on more than one planet, then one planet (and one planet only) has to come first. And so far, there is absolutely no evidence based reason why that planet shouldn't be earth. Perhaps the conditions for life to progress beyond a single cell-type nature really are so specific that it has only happened once? Just look at the Earth - if you took a sample from the atacama desert or the poles, then you would be truly hard pressed to find any life at all, let only advanced and intellligent.
It is a lovely thought that we aren't alone, but I feel it is arrogant to assume one way or another, until definitive evidence is found to the contrary.

Oh, and another thing, as our sun is also known as 'sol', then there really is only one SOLar system :) (a friendly lexicographical nit-pik!)

Cheers,
Adam

I recently saw Hubble criticised on the basis of cost, fine, if you don't value learning!
Life elsewhere? A constant subject of debate on archaeological forums that I frequent. Personally I think it's a 100 per cent certainty.
Intelligent life? Different question. Again a subject of much debate, the main problem for or against is the fact that we do not even know why we are intelligent.
The Drake formula is as valuable as the Met Office's formula concerning volcanic ash!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back