How you remove paint from ceiling in shower?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamiePattison

Established Member
Reaction score
The paint within the shower was peeling so I used the paint I was provided with and gave it another layer.

It peeled again and after a few coats I realised the paint is not correct so bought a new emulsion paint tub which resolved the issue.

I'm now painting the same ceiling again after a few years and was aware the continuous layers caused an uneven surface.

Is there some product I could use to remove the existing paint so it's back to the bare plasterboard so I can repaint correctly?

It's pretty bad there's blotches in different areas from the front of the shower ceiling to middle and back.

I tried to scrape it off but the problematic paint is mildly removed but the new paint doesn't come off.

I am no expert in paint but if the new paint is staying on the ceiling why remove it. Remove the loose stuff and ridge. Treat the blotches with some sort of stain stopping paint, I think many are shellac based, making sure it can be overcoated with the "new paint". Give it a coat with the new paint then sand again. Then give another coat.

You 'could' use a scraper, get in under the original paint and scrape it all back.
I think id probably sand it flat, seal with zinsser and then redecorate with bathroom paint

Latest posts

Back