How would you price these doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big soft moose":3ikqgtf8 said:
eoinsgaff":3ikqgtf8 said:
I find the following a very good price negotiation tactic. It will work in reverse as well. I'll try to explain.

Situation 1, You are aware your price may be on the high side.
Offer the price, say €10,000. Customer complains so you explain that it includes some particularly fancy components (hardwood, hardware etc) and if they wish for the price to drop, you can change these. Adjust to €8000 for cheaper components. Ball in customers court and without fail, a genuine one will slowly work their way back to €10,000.

Situation 2, You are aware your price is on the low side.
Offer the price, say €100. Once the customer is hooked, offer the various improvements available (again hardwood, hardware etc) to move the price up.

This may all be rather obvious but I find the awareness of both scenarios can be very useful when approaching a particular situation.

I hope this makes sense.

good points but there is also

scenario three, you are aware that your price is cut to the bone, any lower and you wouldnt be making money, the customer rejects it as to high because hes an silly person, he goes to ikea instead, and you go to the pub for a well deserved pint

Too true BSM. Its certainly not a perfect proposal.

Unless someone out there has found the perfect client...

£200 a day seems fair and is the going rate over here from what I know (1/2 way between the two so to speak - France/UK).

I had quotes for external doors from a mate and he itemised everything and it was clear where the money was going. What I dislike is quotes that just state '... £400 all in...' with no break down whatsoever. As I say, my mates quote was good as it specced, say 20 hours workshop time at £27.50 an hour... 6 hours site time for hanging at £25 an hour... £150 for hardware... also it had all the wood listed (rough dimensions) and the cost. I know that he put down the list price before discount but that's fine by me, I understand the running costs and so on.

Do you have an apprentice to pay as well ? Heating / electrics / wear and tear... alll come into it.

Personally as stated I think slightly less than £30 an hour is reasonable.

I think that your average Joe gets confused when they see a UPVC door going for £700.

However ... don't get me started on plumbers... I just don't see how they can justify £50 an hour / £400 a day.... maybe I'm missing something !

Ed

EdK":3v2gs3q1 said:
However ... don't get me started on plumbers... I just don't see how they can justify £50 an hour / £400 a day.... maybe I'm missing something !

Ed

and lets not contemplate lawyers - £250 for 30 minuites :shock:

jeffinfrance":26gf4rgo said:
i'm in france russ, 1100 ht is way too low.

there's 2 weeks work there, for the frame and install as well, probably a bit of making good and finishing. be very clear here about what is included, espescially allowances for fitting as any problems can suck up the time.

rates according to the chambre de metiers are 237 euros ht per day. i charge 200, which for french clients is no problem. brits always want a cheaper deal.

dont forget tva is only 5.5% if the house is over 2 years old.

all the best,

jeff

Jeff

I reckon 4-5 days should be ample as theres two of us in the workshop and we will also be working on other projects. The frame should only take a couple of hours and fitting will only take a morning. Hate to sound like a speed freak but I'm usually quite good at judging how long a job will take..

Also, I never charge a day rate and I've never been asked for one, just devis it out as to what I think the job is worth and what the customer would expect to pay. But I'm sure the muppets down at the Chambre de Métiers would beg to differ :D

Sorry, I did quote 5.5%

EdK":342pwx49 said:
I had quotes for external doors from a mate and he itemised everything and it was clear where the money was going. What I dislike is quotes that just state '... £400 all in...' with no break down whatsoever. As I say, my mates quote was good as it specced, say 20 hours workshop time at £27.50 an hour... 6 hours site time for hanging at £25 an hour... £150 for hardware... also it had all the wood listed (rough dimensions) and the cost. I know that he put down the list price before discount but that's fine by me, I understand the running costs and so on.

A breakdown of the cost, if done reasonably well, is excellent when it comes to unforseen difficulties. You have shown what you priced, your rates per hour and then if any additional work arrises you can easily demonstrate how it wasn't priced and the rates at which you wish to be reimbursed.

Clarity can be a very powerful tool. Very hard to argue against.

you're too fast for me russ, i'm glad you're not near my village.. :lol:

good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

all the best,

jeff

Russ":2k5ikaew said:
CNC Paul":2k5ikaew said:
£1950. this would include using a moulding cutter you have already.

What did you quote?

Quoted 1100 euros + 19.6 vat which is a fair price...

Maybe I should move onto the next job?

I'd move on to the next job imho.

He'll be back once he's been quoted elsewhere.

FWIW I think your cheep, too cheep especially for France.

ProShop":3qu9v9a2 said:
Russ":3qu9v9a2 said:
CNC Paul":3qu9v9a2 said:
£1950. this would include using a moulding cutter you have already.

What did you quote?

Quoted 1100 euros + 19.6 vat which is a fair price...

Maybe I should move onto the next job?

I'd move on to the next job imho.

He'll be back once he's been quoted elsewhere.

FWIW I think your cheep, too cheep especially for France.

The problem here, and I'm sure it's the same in the UK is competing with the black economy, sure it's cheap, I'm fully aware of that but if there's ongoing projects I'd rather get my foot in the door before some Jack the lad.

I won't lose sleep over not making a mint on a couple of doors, it's when I get round to the other projects, thats where the profit is. He knows that and so do I.

Btw, he's accepted the quote.

Cheers

Well here's the doors, mitered all round and the panels are in MDF, fitting tomorrow and in total 4 days-ish work...

Just thought I'd share the finished product.

Russ

11.jpg

22.jpg

Latest posts

Back