How tools were paid for

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GazPal":1uhwp9q9 said:
.......... tools tended to be passed down the line in my family and we have tools among us from my great great grandfather's kit ..........
Same here. When I first started my apprenticeship I took some of my father's and grandfather's old tools - hammers, saws, chisels, pincers, etc. - to work with me in an old tin tool box. Eventually I took them back home after I had stocked my hand built tool box (the company supplied the wood, fittings and time) with second hand tools I bought from some of the older craf6tsmen. I have passed some of my own tools down to my sons, daughters and grandsons - eventually they will get them all.

James

To this day, the only flat spokeshave in my kit is an ancient Stanley, which was my grandfather's. Don't know how to date Stanley spokeshaves, but I'd guess it's early C20th.
I've never needed to change it for a newer one.

jamesicus":34mlmppj said:
GazPal":34mlmppj said:
.......... tools tended to be passed down the line in my family and we have tools among us from my great great grandfather's kit ..........
Same here. When I first started my apprenticeship I took some of my father's and grandfather's old tools - hammers, saws, chisels, pincers, etc. - to work with me in an old tin tool box. Eventually I took them back home after I had stocked my hand built tool box (the company supplied the wood, fittings and time) with second hand tools I bought from some of the older craf6tsmen. I have passed some of my own tools down to my sons, daughters and grandsons - eventually they will get them all.

James

It was much the same for me. My wooden toolbox was among the first of my projects as I needed a home for the very basic toolkit I'd been provided, but I also inherited a few tools from my grandfather - who I apprenticed under - and added to them during the passage of time. A few toolboxes later, my son is now apprenticing and has inherited a number of family tools, plus "borrowed" a few of mine and the circle of crafting continues. :)

Among my favourite tools are an old Goodell & Pratt bit brace - circa 1892 - with rolls of shell, centre and spiral auger bits and a Slater shoulder plane which were my great grandfather's. My handplanes were/are predominantly by Record, with quite a few inherited, as they were very popular and in common use in the workshop before, during and after my apprenticeship.

jamisons post is very similar to my own experiances as an apprentice
New woodworking tools -- especially American made -- were in short supply in British hardware shops immediately following the end of WWII. It was not until 1948, when importation from America resumed and British manufacturing had recovered from wartime damage and production demands, that new tools were available for sale in any quantity in my home town. Even then, availability was uncertain.

I did post my experiance in purchasing tools as an apprentice when I mentioned purchasing a Preston plane thinking it was the same company who visited various woodworking establishments with a club card system. We paid a regular amount into this fund the amount being deducted from our wages. At this time woodworkers were paid what was called tool sharpening money and the last hour on a Friday could be spent having a sharpen up, I am not sure but I think this tool sharpening money went into my tool card club.

AndyT who is a font of information informed me that it was not the same Prestons as the plane manufacturer. There must be other apprentices from the 50's that can remember purchasing tools from Prestons?

Latest posts

Back