how to tell if a tree is hardwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys not being a expert on trees . my mate has a field and wants to put a stable block.. anyway a machine is going to push these trees over and needs to get rid of .not sure what they are i was told if a tree has leaves its most likely to be hardwood well i thought every tree has leaves..also a 3ft in diamiter oak tree is lying on the ground in my other friends field anyone wants it..around 15ft long..going back to my question how do i tell if a tree is hardwood you guys know more than me so thought give it try :?

The difference between softwood and hardwood can often be difficult to tell.
A common misconception is that a softwood is soft and hardwood is hard. This is not the case. For example, Balsa wood can be extremely soft yet is a hardwood.
Usually softwood comes from trees with thin leaves like pine needles and generally grow far quicker than most hardwoods. Hardwoods have broader leaves for example Oak and generally grow slower.
To distinguish between the two you need to know a little about wood as there is no set rule. Generally speaking, softwoods will have a wider grain patter due to faster growth and hardwoods will have quite a close grain pattern because of the slower growth.
This is similar to the size or crystals. The faster the growth, the bigger the crystals.

The actual hardness or density of the wood has little to do with the classification. - Generally if a tree is an angiosperm (bearing broad leaves and flowers) , then it's a hardwood

If you talking about how hard is a wood, then stick a pointy object into it and see how soft it is.

Like DM said - but at this time of year, if it has leaves on, they will be needle-like leaves and it will be softwood.

Hi

And just to add to the complications Dangermouse has explained - yew wood is a very highly desirable commodity - however as its a coniferous tree it is a soft wood.

Regards Mick

It's really to do with how they produce and shed their seeds but It's safe to designate them into the two types as hardwood trees are trees which lose their leaves in winter (deciduous) and softwood trees are evergreen.

Andy

No.1

The Larch
Larch-Tree.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist

Attachments

• Larch-Tree.jpg
    Larch-Tree.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,064
One last (slightly more serious) pointer. If its standing alone in a field, its very unlikely to be coniferous, nay, pine, nay softwood, nay gymnosperm because they typically prefer woodland as a habitat.

Although in the case of the mighty Larch....

I'll get me coat!

dilwyn":2xwtdgyd said:
hi guys not being a expert on trees . my mate has a field and wants to put a stable block.. anyway a machine is going to push these trees over and needs to get rid of .not sure what they are i was told if a tree has leaves its most likely to be hardwood well i thought every tree has leaves..also a 3ft in diamiter oak tree is lying on the ground in my other friends field anyone wants it..around 15ft long..going back to my question how do i tell if a tree is hardwood you guys know more than me so thought give it try :?

Find a local sawmill with a felling gang, and get them to take a look: If it's rubbish wood, they'll want to be paid. If it's valuable, they'll pay the landowner. They can log it on site pretty fast too, they should be able to grub the stumps up, and leave you with space to get on with the building. If the landowner wants to keep the timber, there are on-site mills that are towed behind a truck that will plank it (but it'll need to be stored in-stick for a while to be useful). It would probably be a waste to push the trees over (it damages the timber, too), but you need an expert's opinion, looking at the actual property.

Fore the sake of a few phone calls, it's probably worth it. Even if the nearest sawmill doesn't have a gang, they'll know of felling gangs operating in the area.

E.
(Who always wanted to be... ... ... ... ... ... a LUMBERJACK)

Back