how to set up a tv to my PC advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I have read the tv manual and they show a vga to vga lead .

Can I leave the speakers out of the set up and not connect cables from the tv to the pc? (let the existing amplifier and pc speakers work as before?

It looks like the tv is plug and play for W7 and others. (so I assume the screen will find the pc or v/v.)

You should just be able to remove the lead from your existing monitor, put your new TV there and plug the lead into it. You will need to set the screen resulotion of the PC to the native resolution of the TV, probably 1920 x 1080 but check the TV manual if it's full HD.

Is that what your planing to do. Or do you want to add the TV as a secondry screen?

If you have hdmi on your PC you can ditch tbe vga cable and grab a cheap hdmi lead from the supermarket and use that instead, this would also allow you to use the TV speakers.

Hth,
Kind regards,
Ed

I think your best bet is to take pictures of what is on your laptop and what is on your TV, then someone will be able to steer you in the right direction.
The possibilities have opened up so much that half the problem is understanding what all the options are!

It sounds like you have a dvi connection on the back of your PC, in which case a VGA lead and one of those converters you linked will do it. VGA into TV, other end into converter then into your PC.

As Andy says though, a pic would help us confirm it.

Hth,

Kind regards,

Ed

OK got the monster out of the box and took this snap.

Its the small type vga connector so I will need a new lead assuming I have to connect to the small connector on the PC as well.
BTW. at my age I ought to know the difference is that a male or female end in the back of the tv?

DSCN0296.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0296.jpg
    DSCN0296.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 733
Yes, if you have tbe same connection on the back of tbe PC (normally blue), a standard VGA cable is all you need. If you only have the DVI connection on your PC, then you'll need the adapter you linked also for the PC end.

Enjoy you supersized forum browsing! :wink:

Kind regards,

Ed

Yep, what ed said. It would be very unusual to find a PC without a VGA output, so I'd definitely check for that. As Es says it should be blue and look like the one on the back of the TV.

pineapple marvellous =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Connected up with an HDMI lead from another set up when I found the hdmi connector on the back of my PC. So dispensed with my pc speakers and my mouse and keyboard are wifi so just the modem lead and printer (which should be wifi) leads around the desk.

Resolution no problem and photographs on screen are satisfactory.

new set up screen.jpg

Did a print screen shot of this forum

So I fully recommend if you have the space getting down to Sainsbury and getting hold of a 40" Celcus for £199 .

Will post a room shot of my layout shortly.

Attachments

• new set up screen.jpg
    new set up screen.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 655
Glad you found the HDMI connection - that's definitely the best option.

Progress eh? :wink:

Excellent! HDMI is certainly a better way to go, they are a bit hard to spot at times though!

It will be great for Skype as well if you use it, we have it connected to the big TV in the front room and as most of our family are in France we use it quite a bit, the kids love seeing life size Granny and Grandad.

The jury's out on whether I like seeing a life size mother-inlaw though. :roll:

Glad you got it sorted,

Kind regards,

Ed

Back