How to remove dusk nibbs from the latest box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnandp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Just finished box number three (I need to stop counting! ha ha) and sadly like most workshops finishing these boxes in a dusk filled workshop is never going to be easy! Any advice on polishing out the dusk nibbs?

Regards

John

Attachments

• bandsaw box1.jpeg
    bandsaw box1.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 116
  • bandsaw box2.jpeg
    bandsaw box2.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 116
John, what finish have you used on the box? This can affect what you should use to de-nib. If it's Danish Oil or some other oil/varnish blend you shouldn't use abrasives - just burnish with a cloth and some elbow grease. If the finish is an evaporative type such as shellac, solvent or water based lacquer you could use 0000 gauge steel wool or a synthetic abrasive pad.

wellywood":27yv33y8 said:
John, what finish have you used on the box? This can affect what you should use to de-nib. If it's Danish Oil or some other oil/varnish blend you shouldn't use abrasives - just burnish with a cloth and some elbow grease. If the finish is an evaporative type such as shellac, solvent or water based lacquer you could use 0000 gauge steel wool or a synthetic abrasive pad.

Hi, I've used finishing oil. I tried the 0000 wool on the pervious coat which de nibbed it but also completely removed the shine. I'm thinking the mop system that CHJ said about might be good. What might I use as polishing compound?

Regards
John

If it has a lot of dust I would cut it back with 3M 622 (P400) which is great for cutting back lacquer this will give it a flat but dull finish. We usually finish this type of job with 0000 wire wool or my preference Ultra Fine Mirlon pad P1500 dipped in bees wax, the abrasive will cut back the nibs, the wax will lubricate the abrasive and leave a fine lustre when buffed with a clean cotton rag. Buff within 5 mins or so otherwise the wax will dry hard on the box and need some real hard work to get it moving.
Not a major investment and available from all good tool shops, well not many as they wouldn't know what it is!
Cheers Peter

Johnandp":27o8faf7 said:
Hi, I've used finishing oil. I tried the 0000 wool on the pervious coat which de nibbed it but also completely removed the shine.
As mentioned in the pamphlet, oiled finishes must be left to cure before attempting to buff, or in your case abrade with wire wool, several members buff oiled items but it does entail a measure of delay, days/weeks, which is not always convenient to the production process.

Johnandp":27o8faf7 said:
..., can you get that system for a pillar drill? As I don't have a lathe.
Regards
John
I would expect any three mop buffing system to have an alternate mandrel of about 10mm diameter suitable for use in a pillar drill chuck, the system I use which is from Chestnut Finishes comes with such in the basic kit and is available separately.

The two normally required abrasives and a hard wax are also in the kits, and readily available from the same sources as the mops.

Back