How to protect my cast Iron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdesign

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I live in Ireland and can't find johnstons floor paste wax. so what type of wax do we want to put on our table saws. what is needed natural or a chemical one that will dry and stick to the cast iron. All I know is to make sure its silicone free as this will get on pieces cut on the table saw and prevent a finish applying after wards. Any advice would be great at woodwork awhile now outta college tho and having to set up my shop no technitions around anymore :(

Thanks in advance Richard.

Hi Richard. I am from Offaly. I have a can of old Johnstons furniture paste wax that works a treat. Don't ask me where I got it because I don't remember buying it but any furniture paste wax should do.

would natural bees wax do?? I use it on my turned pieces how long does it need to set before buffing out and using

Boeshield is the business. expensive though. I also find just a rubbing off a block of bees wax works well

Yes postage is a killer 15 pounds to get the boesheild to ireland which makes it cost 50 euro to get it. :( my table saw was only 500 got a sip 01332 with sliding carriage the table top was a rust bucket had to use 400 and 600 grit wet and dry with wd 40 looks alright now still stained not a perfect shine but don't wanna take to much cast off. Ireland has a rubbish stores for fixtures and workshop stuff. finding it hard even too get a 2m strip of self addessive measuring tape for my table saw fence rail.

rdesign":28jzulo5 said:
Yes postage is a killer 15 pounds to get the boesheild to ireland which makes it cost 50 euro to get it. :( my table saw was only 500 got a sip 01332 with sliding carriage the table top was a rust bucket had to use 400 and 600 grit wet and dry with wd 40 looks alright now still stained not a perfect shine but don't wanna take to much cast off. Ireland has a rubbish stores for fixtures and workshop stuff. finding it hard even too get a 2m strip of self addessive measuring tape for my table saw fence rail.
Might be worth placing a larger order with an online retailer for all your bits and pieces?

Or move over here :lol:

Personaly I use Renaissance Wax . Works wonders , protects and gives a good smooth surface . Never had problems with it getting on timber .

Kind regards Sam

If your workshop is reasonably dry you won't need anything.
Ordinary candle wax is good for lubrication. One candle lasts for many years, you just scribble with it every now and then.

Latest posts

Back