Cast iron bench table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
Does anyone do a circa £500 cast iron bench top table saw anymore? Axi's versions are just way to over priced for what they are these days. Draper used to do the 200mm cast topped saw but these are no longer available.

I'm looking for a small decent bench top to keep in the house whilst doing some major work in the house such as new kitchen and bathroom and I don't want to have to keep going back to the workshop for access to a table saw. I don't need too much depth so a 200mm blade will suffice although a larger one will not be unwelcome either.

I've budgeted around £500 bit will stretch further for the right saw.

I really don't want a stamped or aluminium saw top if I can avoid it but it looks like thats my only option at the moment. The Dewalt DWE7485 and Bosch GTS10J seem to be the most viable options at the moment and the Metabo contractor saws also look like good value in the blade size at 315mm.

Anyone know if a cast iron option before I push the button? Or are the current alloy and stamped tops just as good, I'm a little cautious which is why I'm asking?

What about a Startrite 145?
It might possibly be able to fit in between your doors.
Here's a good look at one.
I did consider an old cabinet saw but it's a lot bigger than I need or want. I already have a decent table saw, I'm just after something more practical and space efficient to keep in the house for the work over the next year to save me going back and forth. I suspect a cast top on a bench version may be an unnecessary ask for my needs but just checking first.

Quick update for anyone who is interested and people reading searched threads, I explored a few other forums and just pushed the button on ordering a CS70 Precisio. Total diversion to the cast iron request but I figured all available options in terms of a small bench saw are going to be alloy anyhow so went with a known brand with feedback from users and one that works with the system I already have.

Not sure how this will pan out but time will tell.

Quick update for anyone who is interested and people reading searched threads, I explored a few other forums and just pushed the button on ordering a CS70 Precisio. Total diversion to the cast iron request but I figured all available options in terms of a small bench saw are going to be alloy anyhow so went with a known brand with feedback from users and one that works with the system I already have.

Not sure how this will pan out but time will tell.

Wowzers!! Certainly different to your original brief!! But from all I hear they are lovely machines to use and relatively light. Which options / kit did you get?.

Wowzers!! Certainly different to your original brief!! But from all I hear they are lovely machines to use and relatively light. Which options / kit did you get?.
Yeah a total redirection, I looked around for something that matched what I needed it for and was taken by the pull feature of the saw. I had the option of the TKS SawStop version as it is a similar cost but again the pull option on the CS swung it for me. I went with the basic saw for now, not sure I need the slider for my own needs although I'll likely get the extension tables as I start to use it. I'll probably pick up the LA rip fence at some point as well but again see how I go. Should land with me later this week Still reeling from the cost but I take comfort in that not many on the 2nd hand market so clearly they are generally keepers.
I also expect it will double as a trim saw to fit in with my needs in the workshop when the work on the house is finished - that's the plan anyhow.

Yeah I like the look of the TKS.. To be honest I had never looked at the CS versions and that pull feature - certainly useful if one doesn't have the sliding table.

Lovely bit of kit - just don't tell the missus the price!..

Yeah I like the look of the TKS.. To be honest I had never looked at the CS versions and that pull feature - certainly useful if one doesn't have the sliding table.

Lovely bit of kit - just don't tell the missus the price!..
I'm in denial about the price myself. I have yet to really regret a Festool purchase to be fair so I should be pacified when it turns up - that said I just found a total clanger in the online specs for the TKS.
Festool's own UK site states the TKS is only 80mm wider than the CS-70 however the dealer specs show a much bigger table saw size putting the difference of table top at 77% larger than the CS-70 and all at the same weight. I've asked Festool to confirm the size as this was/is a huge deciding factor in comparing the two units especially if they are the same 37kg. I've committed to the order now and the package is out for delivery, not sure what recourse I have if the manufacturers specs are different to the dealer specs and yet the the latter is correct. I'm not too worried as this is Festool we are talking about and part of the cost of their tools is the professionalism that they deal with custom. I'll see what comes out of it either way and repot back on whatever machine turns up.

EDIT: Festool UK confirmed their details are correct which further instils that initial confidence I had in my purchase of a Festool tool. I can get back to looking forward to delivery of the CS-70 now.

Last edited:
Yes, it can get a bit complicated working out whose specs are correct. They often involve some accessories just to make things more unclear..

I had thought the TKS was nearer 50kg? 48kg iirc?.

No matter what, if you are unhappy for some reason with the CS70 then festool dealers will always take it back and either refund you or supply other tools - I have always had excellent service with them - had an issue with a HK85 not meeting my hopes / understanding and had a full refund.

All that said, I suspect you'll love the CS! And you've certainly got me working on the man maths :ROFLMAO: ...

Yes, it can get a bit complicated working out whose specs are correct. They often involve some accessories just to make things more unclear..

I had thought the TKS was nearer 50kg? 48kg iirc?.

No matter what, if you are unhappy for some reason with the CS70 then festool dealers will always take it back and either refund you or supply other tools - I have always had excellent service with them - had an issue with a HK85 not meeting my hopes / understanding and had a full refund.

All that said, I suspect you'll love the CS! And you've certainly got me working on the man maths :ROFLMAO: ...
Yeah the TKS-80 is only 37kg which although seems heavy comparative to the Dewalt's of this world is actually incredibly lean given the sawstop technologies physics of mass. I had some comms back from Festool yesterday and they were spot on with customer service - partly the reason a Festool portable saw made sense is the service. They reiterated yesterday in email that they will take it back with 15 days if it's not for me. I already have a fair bit of the Festool system in track saw, routers, planer, jigsaw and Domino's, etc. Also the MFT is the same height as the CS-70 so instant out feed table.
The main thing that appeals to me on the CS-70 is the portable saw aspect which is my immediate need but when the house is finished I can permanently move it to the workshop as a compact trim pull saw.

Must admit I'm still struggling with the price, lot of cash for an alloy portable saw. I'm hoping that dissipates when it turns up. Will report back.

Hehe.. If you've purchased Festool before then I'm sure you'll get over the price!. And bare in mind that you could sell it if you wished after the house works and lose £200 max most probably so think of it as cheap renting for now!..

Just looked up the weights again - it was FFX that were listing the TKS as 48kg - but as you say 37kg is the number and that is certainly reasonable given what it can achieve. My Makita 2704 I believe is 36kg and that's with no legs! ( And it certainly feels around that when I lugged it up the stairs the other day)..

I guess even though the CS is technically a smaller saw, with the pull feature it adds up to the same as the TKS.

Both look like incredible saws for the weight and feature packed (y)

I think if I did buy one at some point I would want all the extra tables etc as it would be my main / only table saw ( Unless something changed). Now that price is certainly incredibly scary!!..

Back