How to measure suction ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftNav

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I got given not one but two working vacuum cleaners for free :D

Already having two other workshop vacs I wanted to know which ones 'sucked' the best if you get my meaning :lol:

I have a plug in power meter but this only measures the current used not the suction, so after a quick cuppa I came up with the following....

march07001.jpg

march07002.jpg

Its basically a small 12v DC fan out of a computer (you can get them in Maplin) superglued to the end part of a vacuum attachment

The output of the motor is connected to a cheapy volt meter set to read millivolts.

Now I don't know what the unit of measurement is for suction but all I wanted to do was compare vacuum's.

I found out some interesting results...

My Hoover Aquamaster with a brand new fabric filter and bag gave a reading of 70, without the bag I got a result of 77 (thats 10% reduction in suction even when using a brand new bag !)

My Henry (getting on a bit now) gave reading of 54
:cry: so I stripped it completely and cleaned all the internal bits of filter, blasted it out with compressed air, cleaned the com with an eraser, and oiled the bearing, fitted a new dust bag and the resulting reading was 62 :)

I also notice that if the hose is out straight (as opposed to in a coil) the reading increases by about 3.

I tried doubling the length of the hose this only reduced a reading by 1 (not as much as I would have thought)

Anyway this has got my little brain thinking now that I have two spare vacuum motors (one that gave a reading of 104)

march07006.jpg

has anyone on the forum ever built there own twin motor shop vac!

Any comments or refinements greatly appreciated

John (AKA johnny 4 Vacs) :D

I used to have a magazine article in which they built a twin unit vac. Not sure if I still have it, but I'll have a look.

Dave

See thats the problem with you Caulkheads on "The Island", nothing better to do :lol: :lol:

don't tell the wife.. she'll be wanting every last crumb sucked up now!

woody

Dave, thanks for the post - it rang a bell ! and at 3.30AM I woke up and thought 'I knew I'd seen that before' so down the garden to the workshop (security light coming on) :roll:
A quick rumage through past copies of Good Woodworking and hey presto ! FYI Feb 1999 issue 79

Woody - call me a 'caulkhead' :evil: "how very dare you !!!!!" :lol:

I'm not but SHMBO is . I'm from Manchester (if that any better) :wink:

john

Are you not measuring flow (in centre of the pipe) rather than suction?

Sawdust-johnny":tofrebxr said:
:

I'm not but SHMBO is . I'm from Manchester (if that any better) :wink:

john

No, it's worse :twisted:

(Honary caulkhead me, Mother comes from island, both brothers born there, parents retired back there....)

Woody

Hi Sawdust Johnny,

You should find all you want to know about suction measurement (and arguably more than you ever wanted to know!!)
on Bill Pentz's website here.
http://www.billpentz.com/

Look under cyclones/Tests & Faqs/measurement

best wishes from the mainland nearby!

Bob

Hi Bob

Thanks for the tip. but your too late :roll: I'm already on the infamous " I have nothing to stress me out in life so I think I'll build a cyclone !"

For the last two weeks I have read most of Bills site (& I mean most of it) I have join the Australian Ubuet BB and read loads on there, and I have been through most of yours and the late Barry Burgess posts.

So far I have started on a small 6" mini cyclone, I have the body made and am now about to start tackling the funnel :?

I will be taking lots of pics so will keep you posted

john

Sawdust-johnny":12mhh3h9 said:
A quick rumage through past copies of Good Woodworking and hey presto ! FYI Feb 1999 issue 79
john

Was it really? I had a look but don't have the article. Funny - I was convinced in my own mind that it was one of the router magazines. :)

Feb 1999 - that would have been one of the first woodworking magazines I ever bought - the first being the Jan 1999 issue of F&C.

Dave

John

To get any meaningful readings about airflow (not suction), you need to take readings all over the open area of the pipe, not just a single flow reading in the centre

if you want to measure actual suckage then you need to make a manometer
you just need some clear hose and some coulored liquid. Low tech but visual and can be very sensitive depending on the bore of the tube.

Tombo has it right but neglected to tell how the tube with fluid is used. If the tube is clear plastic, plain water will do. Set the vacuum close to a wall, position one end of the tube close to the center of the vacuum outlet. The tube should be long enough to form a "U" with the water in the bottom of the "U". Turn on the vacuum & measure how high the vacuum pulls the water up the tube. The vacuum that pulls the water up the highest has the greatest amount of suction.

Lee

Thanks Lee & Tombo, I will build myself one of these

Manometer.jpg

My main reason for building my 'gadget' was not to measure but just to compare.

I use to 'dabble' with two strokes and I know little tweaks / porting etc make a huge difference to gas flow and indeed Bill Pentz mentions some on his modifications page.

My overall aim is to make a shop vac as efficient as possible and then attach it to a mini cyclone to make the ultimate fine dust extractor for my hand held power tools.

oh ye and one day I'm gonna do some woodwork :wink:

will keep you posted

john

Back