how to make a classic wooden barrow with proper wheelwright

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chwjwood

Reaction score
Would anybody be interested in this topic.Ihave made a barrow threequarter size including the wheel made pretty much as a wheelwright would .My father now deceased said he had many a happy hour as a wheelwrights assistant in his youth &always talked about it .Ihave made various machinery adaptions and jigs Ihave lots of photos Ithink of interest and Iwould be happy for anyone to have the plans.Iam not sure how to attach a photo but no doubt someone will help

Always interested in any wood working project, especially about now almost skills such as wheelwright

phil.p":20amnetq said:
I think you need a couple more posts before you can post photos or PM. ......
Images can be attached at any time regardless of Post Count, the instructions and methods are in the Picture Posting Guide Thread at the top of every Forum Section Page.
It is Off Site Links that are restricted to help control Spam postings.

phil p says interested in wheel see photo recent items made posts .ican make up a series photos and text for wheel making in classic wheelwright manner if anyone interested

Unusual and interesting subjects like wheel making will always make good reading for me though I will never make a wheel in all likelihood. I'd like to see more please. Sure many would be interested.
Cheers
Chris

Great topic. Still regret not having my camera around when, sometime in the 1970s, the blacksmith/agricultural machinery guy and the retired village carpenter did what was probably the last iron tyring of a wheel in the village where my Mother lived.

barrow c compressed.jpg
hopefully heres a picture of the barrow

Attachments

• barrow c compressed.jpg
    barrow c compressed.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 98
I am not a wheelwright, but have made a couple of wheels. Both were in softwood, one about 300mm diameter for a smaller version of yuor image, and the other at about 1500mm to be painted for decoration.
The larger of the two had a cast iron hub which of course dispensed with a lot of work.
My main memories, of awkward bits, were. Firstly, drilling the dowel holes in the Fellows, rim bits, these were very difficult to keep in line down the end grain, and secondly that shaping the spokes, tear drop section, by hand was quicker than making a copy router. OOH another tricky bit, to snugly fit the spokes and other fellows, the size of both fellows and spokes had to be exact, no cramping up to get agood joint here.
xy

Latest posts

Back