How to leave some standing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger

Established Member
Reaction score
My head isn't working too well this morning, so I need some opinions on this!

I have to 'cut back' some solid 2” thick pieces that are roughly oblong (up to 24" x 18" or thereabouts), by about 1/2" so that a 4 or 5” block is left standing proud near the bottom for a carving to be done.

My Bandsaw won't handle that depth of cut and I can't figure out a way to use a Router and jig, or my Rat in any efficient and quick way. I may have to repeat this every month or so also.

Short of contracting the job out to someone (if I can find one) who has a huge bandsaw or CNC and the inclination to do it at a reasonable cost; can anyone come up with a simple way to do this?

Route a dado to define carving part and power plane the area to be removed.
Make a box no top fix router to a slide that runs across the top fix batten to stop the cut for the carved area route out the rest.
you could use both ideas to rough and finish.

why not adapt the router jig which allows you to as it were plane
rough wood.

you know two side pieces wide enough to carry router, a stop, and then
plunge, but i am guessing that you need to remove the 1/2 inch piece
up to 24 inches so for that bit either turn the wood over to rout the
whole length, or use a jig saw, and plane up later.

ig saw would give you the depth, but the router will ensure that
the wood doesnot break at the outcrop.

paul :wink:

Make a box no top fix router to a slide that runs across the top fix batten to stop the cut for the carved area route out the rest

Thanks OLD - that box and slide idea will do the trick. A nice solid slide that I can use each time and a big fat bit will get rid of the waste in no time!

f not then just use the usual methods; mark out the depth, cut saw kerfs to the lines with a saw from the face, chisel off waste, finish with paring chisels, small planes, sandpaper etc etc
If it is a carving can't you have a carved finish e.g. nice n regular shallow gouge scoops

Too much work and time in that one Jacob! It would be nice with the carved finish, but I won't be doing that bit. Thanks anyway

Back